Author Topic: Annie Campbell (b) ???? , (d) 30 Dec 1878  (Read 4854 times)

Offline MsTibbs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Campbell (b) ???? , (d) 30 Dec 1878
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 October 16 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Edward
I've just joined Roots and found your post. I have the marriage certificate for Annie Campbell and Sween McDonald. The marriage took place on 30th September, 1858 at Mt. Fraser in Victoria which was given as Annie's usual place of residence. Sween, however, usually resided at Edward River, N.S.W. She was aged 19 and Sween  was 27. The place of birth for Annie is illegible. Sween's usual occupation was 'Stockkeeoer' (which may perhaps be similar to a drover). It does, apparently, mean looking after live stock and Annie gave her occupation as  "lady". The witness for Annie was Catherine Campbell, perhaps a sister?

Isabella Christina McDonald was my grandmother. She was their only child and I have been unable to find a birth certificate for her.  I think she was born about 1859 - perhaps in Hay. By 1884, she was living and working in Richmond where she married my grandfather, John McBain. They lived and worked in Beveridge with the McBain family.  Mt. Fraser, where Annie and Sween were married, is part of Beveridge. I have lots of unanswered questions about Isabella. I hope this information is helpful.

I would love to hear any details you have about Sween's family in Scotland.
Phyllis

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 October 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Phyllis :)

Welcome to rootschat. :)

Would you like to snip, save and attach the parts of the marriage certificate that are illegible.  Not the complete certificate though as it breaches copyright.

Could you please transcribe the bride and groom's parents names including their mother's maiden names and father occupations.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article141034799
Magisterial enquiry into Annie's death.  Sad really and Sween's whereabouts were unknown. 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MsTibbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I already have the article concerning Annie Campbell's death - it is indeed very sad.
I believe the post  to which you connected does refer to my Sween - His age is given as 10 in that 1841 census which ties in with the approximate birth year I had of 1831, given he was 27 when he married in 1858. So it follows that I now have his siblings - subject to confirmation . Thank you.

The Marriage Certificate for Sween and Annie Campbell give the parents as Sween McDonald (carpenter) and Isabella Macintosh. Annie's parents are Lachlan Campbell (Joiner) and Christine Paterson.

I'm really sorry but I can't actually see how to attach the section of Marriage Certificate which is illegible. I can see the Insert Image icon which I thought would be the one since I was able to save the excerpt into my photographs but I can't work out how to pull it into the post. I've checked "Help" and "FAQ" but it has escaped me. I would be grateful if you could tell me what I'm missing. Thank you so much.

Thanks again for your help.
Phyllis

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 07:02 BST (UK) »
At the risk of this being an IT answer rather than a genealogy one...

Googling for "snipping tool" will bring up some answers for you.  If you use Microsoft this may help you
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Lots of Rootschatters have experience in deciphering certificate entries so Cando's suggestion would be worth doing if you can.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Phyllis,
  I think you already have saved a picture of the illegible part?

If so then hit reply.  Once the window opens for you to reply, you will see at the bottom of the window "Attachments and other options"

When you hit this, it asks you to choose a file (choose the filename of your picture) and then hit post (as usual).

If it complains that there is already a file of this name then you should change the filename to something less likely to have been previously posted on rootschat -eg SweenCampbellCert

cheers,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Phyllis
  I have just sent you a personal message with a link to Sween McDonald's probate file (which I photographed for Edward).

You can find "My Messages " at the top in the brown banner.

cheers,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline MsTibbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 October 16 06:21 BST (UK) »
Attached is an extract from the marriage certificate of Annie Campbell and Sween McDonald. The birth place of Annie could be short for Melbourne but I believe she was born in Scotland so I have no idea what it is. I also wonder what the N.B. means.  Thanks again for your help and to Ros for explaining how to do this.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 October 16 06:34 BST (UK) »
I wonder if N.B. is for North Berwick in Scotland?   Could the locality be Mull rather than an abbreviation for Melbourne?

Inverness in N.B.  ;D for the groom  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.