Author Topic: William Campbell  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Campbell
« on: Monday 02 February 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, this is a big ask to find info with the little information I have.

I am looking for a William Campbell born in Scotland in the 1860's - exact location unknown. He moved to Ireland in the early 1900's  and married a Rachel Speer/Spears on 13 February 1906 in Ballyronan, and had four children Matilda, Mary, William and Dawson. All listed in the 1911 census in Ireland.

If anyone has any information on Williams birth, death or parents it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 February 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Diane, but with as little information as that there is absolutely no possibility of identifying your William Campbell. According to Scotland's People 606 William Campbells were born in Scotland in the 1860s.

I see from the Northern Ireland BMD web site that the marriage of William Campbell and Rachel Speer on 13 February 1906 was registered in Magherafelt, Reference M/1906/N1/1855/6/27. Your first step is to go to https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ and buy a few credits, then download the marriage certificate. This will tell you the name and occupation of William Campbell's father.

From the same site I see that their children may have included
Violet, born 24 August 1906
Margaret, born 19 March 1908
Mary, born 4 January 1909
Dawson, born 21 September 1910
Agnes, born 12 July 1914
all registered in Magherafelt except Violet, but you'd need to check the certificates to be certain. Also, the site does not include children born less than 100 years ago.

The original 1911 census lists at House 33 in Drumenagh, Ballyronan, Londonderry
William Campbell, 50, agricultural labourer, born County Derry
Rachel Campbell, 36, born County Derry, married 5 years, 3 children, 2 living, 1 dead
Mary Ann Campbell, 2, born County Derry
Dawson Campbell, 6 months, born County Derry
Isabella Griffan, 80, boarder, widow, born County Derry
All were protestants.

Margaret Campbell, aged 0, died on 19 April 1908, death registered in Magherafelt. Given that Rachel had had three children, one of whom had died before 1911, it looks as if Margaret had died, and also that Violet has nothing do do with this family.

Why do you think that William Campbell was born in Scotland, when the 1911 census says that he was born in County Derry?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Consider too, that not far from Drumenagh townland lies Aughrim townland. In 1901 census, there is a Wm Campbell, born County Londonderry, who is a servant. Age is out for the William in 1911 Census, but may or may not be correct. This William does not appear in the area in 1911, unless he has died, moved elsewhere or is indeed the one married to Rachel.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballyronan/Aughrim/1532141/

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 15 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Here is the younger son, William, born 1916, hence why not in the 1911 census:

http://www.cookstownwardead.co.uk/persondepth.asp?cas_id=409

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 February 15 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you guys, William Campbell's granddaughter told me he was born in Scotland. Information on the census must have been interpreted wrong, because I originally thought the "wm" was my William Campbell until I was told about Scotland..

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 February 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Another point to note, William jnr's details that I linked to above state "Mrs. Rachel Campbell (nee Glendinning)".

I wonder if Rachel Speers was Rachel Glendinning and married to a Speers before her marriage to Campbell, albeit only Rachel Speers/Spears I see in area at 1901 is:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballyronan/Ballyronan_More/1532286/

who is noted as single. No Rachel Glendinning in area.

The Glendinning may be a 'red herring' as the CWGC entry for William does not list a maiden name for his mum.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Rachel Speers was Rachel Glendinning and married to a Speers before her marriage to Campbell

If that were the case the NI births index would list the mother's maiden name as Glendinning.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.