Author Topic: MacFarlane Lang (Biscuit Manufacturers) Glasgow  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: MacFarlane Lang (Biscuit Manufacturers) Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 February 15 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

You will not believe it....................found what I assume to be the connection which is Null & Void   :o ;D

My grandfather's 1st wife was Isabella Bethia M(a)cFarlan/e/d  ???

I'm assuming my grandad didn't tell my grandmother what the connection was & she would be oblivious but my grandad had a sweetshop in Belfast within their house.

The shop was downstairs & living quarter's upstairs.

I wonder if MacFarlane & Lang delivered to the shop?

I will put that to my aunt as she was only a kid herself  ::)  ;D

Not going to inherit any shortbread now am I  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 February 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »

Not going to inherit any shortbread now am I  ;D

Maybe not  ;) Follow it through as you said though...amazing how our elder family remember the detail, whilst not clear to us...leads you somewhere else!

With your aunt and the memory of the Lorry...was this when she was a child in Ireland, from what she has mentioned to you?

My mum's memory of her early life is sharper and clearer than what I did 10 mins ago... ;D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 February 15 20:09 GMT (UK) »
With your aunt and the memory of the Lorry...was this when she was a child in Ireland, from what she has mentioned to you?

Absolutely. My aunt was born 1933 & her mum (my grandmother) died 1948 so it was within that period  ;D

Will ask her next week & put it to her regarding 1st wife as they had a son together & my grandad was a widower when he married my grandmother.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Charis Macfarlane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 December 18 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but my great grandfather was thr rev. John Macfarlane, a relation to Macfarlane & Lang ...im just not exactly sure where he fits in(son/nephew/other). I suspect he would have been born in the 1880s as hos wife was born 1890, they married in 1914 and had their 1st child in 1915

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 December 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charis, welcome to RootsChat :)

From Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: John Macfarlane, born Helensburgh, 15th December 1881, son of Alexander Macfarlane and Jane Graham .... married 14 April 1914 Catherine Anne Baker, and had issue: Isabella Russell, born .... 1915; John Alexander, born .... 1917, Margaret, born .... 1928.

There are several references to him, charting his career in the Church of Scotland. The full write ups can be easily accessed via http://ecclegen.com/general-index-mac1-2/#MacFarlane,%20Andrew - scroll down to John MacFarlane, 1911 Aberdalgie etc
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 December 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Alexander McFarlane and Jane McNair Graham were married in Row in 1879. Jane died in Row in 1928 aged 76, so she must have been born about 1851/1852.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits, and use some of them to view the marriage certificate. This will tell you the names of Alexander's and Jane's parents including their mothers' maiden surnames, and the occupations of Alexander and his father.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Charis Macfarlane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that,

Ive done some rummaging about online and found that John Macfarlane from the Macfarlane & Lang biscuits was my great grandfather's (rev john macfarlane) uncle, so i guess that would make my great great uncle?? ...still no shortbread for me either  ;) business must have ran in their blood, as my grandfathers Robert G Macfarlane  company invented Vanish back in the 80s.

Its been interesting to learn more about my ancestors  ;D