Author Topic: Please Restore and Date this tintype from Ontario, Canada from Marple family  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Barb Given

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
We have no idea what generation they are from. Photo may have been taken in Woodstock, Ontario or even in Nova Scotia, where Richard Marple settled as a United Empire Loyalist in 1784 after the War of Independence. It is the only tintype we have ever had and the old folks who had the information are long dead. Thank you so much for your help.

The two date estimates you have provided, thank you so much, appear to place this photograph in the time period of my grandfather, in his 20s,  in Woodstock, Ontario. It could be one of his brothers. I am checking our family tree for possibilities. I am puzzled about that because another very early photo of my grandfather at his workplace was not a metal plate. As I read just now on the roots site, the metal plates were popular for just a brief time. Perhaps they were used only for studio camera sittings. I am sorry about the darkness of the image. It looks like black ink was splashed over it, too. Or perhaps something else damaged it. Thanks so much for attempting to restore it. I very much appreciate your patience and kindness.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please Restore and Date this tintype from Ontario, Canada from Marple family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb

Welcome to Rootschat. I think it looks as if it's mid-1890s  by the style of the woman's dress and the man's tied. Underneath the darkness, it is a lovely photo - maybe to celebrate their  engagement/marriage. 

Gadget

Added - I am attempting a restore but it will take a while, so please don't mark as completed  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline catfordcrooner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Please Restore and Date this tintype from Ontario, Canada from Marple family
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother had a very similar dress in an 1894 photo
Crawford
Taylor
Hurstwaite
Hayles
Dunlop
Neil - Cork, Ireland

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 15 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm no restorer

It's only a quicky artistic painting makeover on windows paint program with background changes, sort of  short engine as they say in the car trade.

If its any use to the restores as a template-? (Saddles/Gadget) considering the state of the original-they can use it by all means.

:)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Barb Given

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 February 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Added: Many thanks to Gadget and Catford Crooner for dating the image.
Many thanks also to Gadget for working on restoration of this difficult project.
Dobfarm, you have been a big help in getting rid of the background of this image in the hope that restorers can use your work. Much appreciated. I am so much looking forward to seeing a restoration!
Barb

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 February 15 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I do hope the restorers can help this lovely photo...aren't they beautiful people :)

This photo is in the early part of the leg-of-mutton sleeving that began as a style in 1893 and petered out in 1897. Very narrow time frame actually, so let's say around 1893-1894. Those sleeves got bigger until they were pretty ridiculous, but this photo shows a nice balance.

Tintypes were a bit unusual at this time, the cabinet card being a much more popular form of photo. The long bodice was unusual too...most 1890s bodices ended right at the waist. What a beautiful outfit the lady has :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Probably best to put a whole new similar background in of the time period and concentrate on the couple and their clothes. After all it was most likely only a dull studio drop sheet anyway.

Best  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 08:29 GMT (UK) »
No problem with background.  I did that quite quickly.

When it is lightened and enlarged for restoration there are severe marks and pixels all over the figures - that is what is taking time (and life in general). I did ask Barbara for a better scan but haven't received one so am just doing a bit at a time in between living. Also, I'm pernickety when it comes to restorations  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
My one

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission