Author Topic: Any Cravens left around Rothwell?  (Read 3976 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Cravens left around Rothwell?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 February 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I didn't find a burial for Mary  :)  :-\  I'd found burials for Thomas Craven and Joseph Craven, both described as "son of George".
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 February 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Working on it....
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I haven't so far found these to be connected to the George and Mary (Horner) union; however, I am keeping them in mind.  I believe they may be associated with the George and Mary (Beevors) marriage, but again, I'm not sure.  Otherwise, I'll just count this topic as complete now.  As an aside, my correspondent has now found further information from more letters written in the 1850s...if anything comes up with regard to the 'non-assigned people', I'll be sure to get back.  Thanks for the help, Bumble, as always it's really appreciated. Stay warm!
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Bill Openshaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 July 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have been trying to find ancestors of John Craven of Alnwick/Wakefield. I have been researching the Percy Tenantry Volunteers (1798 - 1814) on behalf of Alnwick Castle. John Craven was a soldier who was transferred to the "Experimental Corps of Riflemen' and took part in in the Battle of Copenhagen which resulted in being awarded a medal of Valour from Horatio Nelson.(The medal was recently sold for over £3000... I have a photo) Being wounded in the Battle he was discharged and then joined the 'Wakefield Volunteers' before being poached by the Duke of Northumberland (on a recommendation from his ex commanding officer Lt Col Stewert, of the 95th Reg). He was the Sgt Major for the Northern division of the PTV Riflemen and was responsible for their training. He lived for a while at Allerburn Cottage   (still there and a very attractive cottage). A 'Turner' by trade, he later moved up into town (Alnwick) and set up a workshop. He made several items for the PTV (we still have the receipts). He was given a pension for life from the Duke as well as his Chelsea Pension. If you have any info about him to share my email is opshw68@gmail.com. His son John 'Hugh' is probably named after the Duke, Hugh Percy.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Bill.  Before I go further, please note you should never EVER put your personal e-mail address in a post.  The Moderator will probably pick it up and delete it.  I realise you probably didn't know that...having said that, I will e-mail you and yes, I have chapter and verse on John Craven, going back to his grandparents and down to me directly.  I have to say, for your benefit and those who may read this, I had no knowledge whatsoever of the side of John Craven...I don't recall seeing any of it in the Newspaper Archives for Alnwick, apart from the fact that a field was rented to the Volunteers by a John Craven (not sure whether it was John or John Hugh) for their practice 'war games'.  Anyway, watch for my e-mail.
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee