Author Topic: Carl Jacob Maier - died 1970 in Douglas Point Ontario - buried in Montreal  (Read 13432 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Carl Jacob Maier - died 1970 in Douglas Point Ontario - buried in Montreal
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 02:32 GMT (UK) »
I should have added something else about the Douglas...patients there were not necessarily insane :) The place was used for all sorts of ailments including degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, which in those days was just called dementia and considered a mental disorder, bipolarism, Parkinson's, depression and even Down Syndrome. All of these used to be stigmatized because they were not understood and not much in the way of treatment was available. Just another thought  :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline charles998

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

I logged into Rootschat just to supply this information on Carl Jacob Maier.

First of all, here is the more or less complete text of his death notice in the Montreal Gazette, September 25, 1970.

"Carl J. Maier.  Suddenly at Owen Sound, September 23, 1970.  Beloved husband of Rita Cramer and dear stepfather of Lind Horton."

That's about it.  Says he was cremated in the Mount Royal Crematorium.

Not sure how Owen Sound fits in.

Here as well is my complete note file on him from various University of Toronto sources.

In 1928/9 reported as being "by last reports, selling Aluminum in Chicago -- not from door to door" (U of T Monthly, pg. 132)
In 1929/30 with Aluminum Limited, 2319 Oliver Building, Pittsburgh, Pa. (U of T Monthly, pg. 36)
IN 1936/7 was with the Aluminum Company in Montreal, "after spending five and a half years in India" with the same company. (U of T Monthly, pg. 168)
Last addresses were 942 St. Clare Road, Mount Royal, and 51 Oakmount Road, Toronto (UC Alumni).

Also from city directories, I found him as Treasurer with an Aluminum Co., Toronto, 1945, on 51 Oakmount. He was not listed there in 1947.

I have been trying to find out his death notice and obituary details for over 20 years, and I am glad to have stumbled over this at the same time as my Gazette research last week.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post an address of 442 St. Clare Road.  I am sure this was 942, and matches.

This is all so interestingly close... I think the answer might lie in Owen Sound.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 01:11 BST (UK) »
Well...welcome to Rootschat :)

That's amazing...Owen Sound is right next door to Douglas Point, and the nuclear power plant came on line in 1968. Nobody goes there on vacation. Nobody even goes to Owen Sound on vacation because it has a bad reputation. He must have been there on business.

Or maybe he went because of that bad reputation :P :)

br1937 will be pleased, thank you for this information.

Cheers,
China

Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline br1937

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 05:33 BST (UK) »
Yes,
Very pleased to see the latest post.

To "charles998"
If you do not mind, I would be interested to know the connection to Carl Jacob Maier.
As noted - you had been trying for over 20 years to find death notice/obituary.

Regards,
Mike (br1937)
Brady, Hennessy, Dolan, Brennan, Cramer, Miller, Maier, Bisceglia

Offline charles998

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
Glad to help you Mike,

[And sorry for the overenthusiastic abundance of detail last time]

Carl Jacob Maier served as an executive member of the University College Literary and Athletic Society at University College, Toronto, while an undergraduate.  I have been tracking the former members of this society for some time now.  Mr. Maier's details after 1947 have escaped me, and I have been trying to complete my file on him for a long time (i.e. 20 years and counting).

If I can link Maier 1925 B.A. U of T, to Maier died in Owen Sound buried in Montreal, it would be a great help.  I think it is very close.

I didn't mention in the earlier post that the U of T Maier was also born in 1902.

- Charles

Offline charles998

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
One other thing - the Douglas Point reactor was a CANDU designed reactor and thus required a fair amount of Aluminum for its operation.  Since Carl was in the aluminum business at some point, could he have been called to Douglas Point in this capacity?

- Charles

Offline br1937

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
Absolutely no problem with abundance of detail....I am interested in every single fact.

When I started this chat the very first reply was the link to the U of T yearbook and the Carl Maier from Hamilton. Now coming full circle back to the U of T angle seems fitting.

Seeing a picture in the yearbook made the search/find that much more powerful. Subsequent replies focused on Border crossings that pointed to his career and travels all over the world. A very interesting man and certain facts did suggest he was the same Carl Jacob Maier that I know was buried in Montreal in 1970. That Carl was married to the first cousin of my grandfather (Rita Cramer).

The most solid information that I have to suggest they (U of T Carl & Montreal Carl) are one in the same is signatures on documents. A burial record that I obtained from the cemetery for the 1957 burial of Carl Maier's mother in law (Molly Cramer) is witnessed and signed by Carl Maier. The signature is very similar to that of the U of T Carl...as per the Border Crossing documents referred to and documented earlier in the chat.

As well, I also obtained the burial record for Carl Maier from 1970 and it states his age at the time of his death to be 68. Thus also consistent with the Carl Maier from Hamilton (and U of T) as his year of birth was 1902.

One stumbling block is the inability to find evidence of a 2nd marriage to Rita Cramer. The Carl Maier buried in Montreal was definitely married to Rita Cramer but no current information exists to establish when they were married.

However, the business travels and other information establishes that Carl Maier (U of T) was married to a Dorothy Westover in the 30's and thus it would be preferable at some point to better understand the timeline of personal history for Carl Maier (and his wife /wives for that matter).

Mike

Brady, Hennessy, Dolan, Brennan, Cramer, Miller, Maier, Bisceglia