Author Topic: 2nd Lt GHJ Daubeney, 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment -- a Canadian??  (Read 1080 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd Lt GHJ Daubeney, 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment -- a Canadian??
« on: Thursday 05 February 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
2nd Lt GHJ Daubeney was killed on 26/9/16 and his death is recorded both in the War Diary and by CWGC. His parents Henry and Eliza are described as 'late of' a Cheltenham address. However, I have been able to find no other references to the family via Ancestry etc. I did find that Daubeney is listed on Canadian memorial sites, including one for soldiers from Hanna, Alberta, so fair enough, it appears the family must have emigrated at some point and Daubeney then decided to come and fight for the British rather than the Canadian forces. However, I can't find any other references to him at all: he doesn't have a service record and there don't seem to be any London Gazette references to him. Any suggestions as to how I can find out anything at all about him or even his parents?

I should add that I am not a family member: Daubeney was a friend of the person I am researching and I am trying to work out how they met, which they evidently did before the war.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Lt GHJ Daubeney, 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment -- a Canadian??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 February 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
He appears to be on the 1901 census with family aged 13 living in Charlton Kings, Cheltenham.
RG13/2458  39/14
Cathy :)
Transcribed Daubiney on ancestry
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 February 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thank you for your quick reply. WHY COULDN'T I FIND THAT? I spent about an hour fiddling about with the censuses -- but will have another look now, knowing that it is there to be found.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 February 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
There is an obituary in the Birmingham Daily Mail 19 Oct 1915
Lieutenant George Henry James Daubeney killed.
 Lieutenant GHJ Daubeney , 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment who fell in action in France on September 26th was the only son of Henry Elias Daubeney of Balcarres, Charlton kings near Cheltenham and was born 1887. He belonged to the ancient and historical family of Daubeney of Cote represented in the rolls of Battle Abbey...
It goes on to mention several eminent family members.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 February 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again! I have now found the 1901 entry -- duh, caught out by a misspelling. Daubenay sounds like a most aristocratic name, I must say.

I would still like to know how he knew my subject Tom Wilmot. Tom was in Canada before the war but in an entirely different province, Saskatchewan not Alberta. He came from Herefordshire. He attended both the King's School, Worcester, and Hereford Cathedral School, but neither of them are near Cheltenham!

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
he doesn't have a service record
He DOES have a service record, but as he was an officer, it's only available at Kew. And the surname is mis-indexed as Danbeney!
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1097247

Hope this helps,
Adrian

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 February 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Whoop, whoop Adrian, yes it does help (dances round room). What a name it is for being misspelt! Just one more item and I will feel I can justify the trek to Kew, not one of my favourite journeys in the world. RootsChatters, how I love you all!