Author Topic: W.Carter, photographer in Rochdale  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
W.Carter, photographer in Rochdale
« on: Friday 06 February 15 12:04 GMT (UK) »
My parents' wedding photos (1931) were taken by a studio in Rochdale named W.Carter.  I believe Eric Carter, one of the photographer's family was my father's best man and I have a group photo showing (I think) both Eric and his sister, who was a bridesmaid.  I can't find a birth for Eric, assuming he was born around 1901, like my father, and I don't know his sister's forename.  Can anyone help, please?

I have seen a photo on an online selling site "Photo of a man" by W J Carter of Rochdale, which looks as if it dates from the 1930s or 40s and can only think that this photographer is a member of the same family.  I've discovered that there's also a painter of the same name, but can't find out any more about him either. :(

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: W.Carter, photographer in Rochdale
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the above, I have just been sent by a cousin a different wedding photo of my parents and this time the photographer's stamp is W J Carter, like that on the online site I mentioned.  I think it's time to email the ever helpful Rochdale Local Studies to see what they can tell me about this studio.

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
According to Lancashire Professional Photographers 1840-1940 by Gillian Jones, William T. (sic) Carter  was at 43 Drake St Rochdale from 1905-39, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
LancsBMD have William Thomas Carter marrying Eleanor Ormerod at St Chad, Rochdale in 1906. William Thomas was apparently born in Malvern, Worcs about 1873. The only 2 children found so far are William Leslie and Charles Henry, no Eric.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for this, cb.  The young man on the photo looks to be in his mid-to-late twenties, his sister the same.  My father was 30 when he married, so I've been looking around 1905 for Eric's birth.  Of course, if WJ came from Worcs he might have married in his wife's parish and then returned to Worcs for a while, at least, I suppose. I can see that the photographer's name could be either J or T.

Here's the photo (hope it works) with the bridesmaid seated on the left and "Eric" the shorter man on the right.  Perhaps someone will recognise these siblings.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I have found William's birth registered at Upton on Severn (which includes Malvern) in Sept Q 1873 -8c 327.  By 1911 he was living in Blackburn.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 February 15 15:03 GMT (UK) »
1901 census has William living in Rochdale as a photographer age 27.

How I wish I could access my parents' marriage certificate, which is currently in a box surrounded by other boxes and pieces of furniture while my husband guts and decorates our bedroom!  Maybe this Eric signed as a witness.