Author Topic: Baptism - Pretty 1798 Milton Regis  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baptism - Pretty 1798 Milton Regis
« on: Saturday 07 February 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for the baptism of Harriet Pretty in on around 1798 in Milton Regis, she gives her place of birth as Milton or Milton near Sittingbourne on all the census.

If Harriet is present could someone look up to see if there are some siblings especially a Stephen Pretty who appears on the 1851 census.

Many thanks.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline Naukit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism - Pretty 1798 Milton Regis
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Stephen Pretty was born 20 Dec 1798 in Milton, but doesn't appear to have been baptised in the Church there... He was in the Merchant navy (that's where I got his date of birth from) as were several other PRETTY men. He was buried in Milton on 1 November 1880 and figures in the burial register. His wife was Abigail... (buried 15 Sep 1877 in Milton aged 79). They had one son William baptised in Milton on 3 July 1836..
One of my great grandmother's sisters was married to Edward Oliver Pretty (b.1840 in Milton, also a Mariner) and they married in Frindsbury in 1860. They were Weslyans or Bible Christians... Edward's father was born in Milton in 1809 - he may be related in some way to your PRETTY family.
I hope this is of some help.
All the best!

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism - Pretty 1798 Milton Regis
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information on Stephen especially about him being in the Navy, now I just need to try to find a connection and more information about Hannah Pretty who I am fairly sure must be related to him - perhaps she was his brother.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)