Author Topic: Albert Hirst - Actic Convoy  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Coopermaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Hirst - Actic Convoy
« on: Monday 09 February 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
After seeing the other post about the Arctic Convoy, when the name Hirst was mentioned, I thought I might ask a question.

My Great Uncle - Albert Hirst was on the Arctic Convoy. The background that I know is that he was mentioned in the Nottingham Evening Post (This was in the last 10 years) and there was a big feature about the Arctic Convoy, but his sister cut it out and keeps it with her at all times.
At a family 'do', I asked her to show me the press cutting and it just said Albert Hirst, 4th Lincolnshire Battalion. Norway. I assume it's WW2.
This is all that I can find... I would be very grateful if anyone can give me more information.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Hirst - Actic Convoy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 07:52 GMT (UK) »
I think the story may have got confused as time has passed. 4th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment was involved in the British landings in Norway in 1940 and subsequent withdrawal. That had nothing to do with the Arctic convoys which supplied Russia later in the war.

Some background here:

http://fourthlincolns.tripod.com/page2.html

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Coopermaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Hirst - Actic Convoy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Oh. Wow! Thanks for this. Our Nottingham connection never seemed to fit, I thought.  :)