Author Topic: PayPal - possible phishing ?  (Read 8640 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PayPal - possible phishing ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Checked my account and it looks just like I left it back in Nov 2014.  £0.00 balance. No messages.

Phew, so far, so good.

STG

PS : Thanks for the link, Mike
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Error for "e.paypal.co.uk".

This domain cannot be registered because it contravenes the Nominet UK
    naming rules.  The reason is:       the domain name contains too many parts.
http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
The e-mail address to forward suspected phishing is spoof@paypal.com.  They will always respond and if it was a genuine e-mail they will advise you of that.

As has been mentioned, generally, if the e-mail is addressed to you it is genuine.  Phishers don't know your name, they just address their e-mails as Dear Paypal customer, or something similar.  It seems to me that you only did part of what was needed to set up your PayPal account and if you buy something on line and want to use PayPal it may not be possible.

By the way, I use PayPal to send small amounts of money to USA for Christmas and birthday presents for my son and granddaughter.  Both of us have set up accounts to do this but neither can see each other's account.  What happens is I just have to quote my son's e-mail address and the amount I want to send and, miraculously, the money appears in his bank account within a few minutes.

Lizzie

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
As has been mentioned, generally, if the e-mail is addressed to you it is genuine.  Phishers don't know your name, they just address their e-mails as Dear Paypal customer,

Lizzie
The difference with this scam, and what is especially worrying people is that it IS addressed to the right person, and not to Dear customer.

Mike

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 12:15 GMT (UK) »
As has been mentioned, generally, if the e-mail is addressed to you it is genuine.  Phishers don't know your name, they just address their e-mails as Dear Paypal customer, or something similar.  It seems to me that you only did part of what was needed to set up your PayPal account and if you buy something on line and want to use PayPal it may not be possible.

I'm afraid this no longer seems to hold true.

I have received very authentic looking emails recently: from my internet provider and from paypal. Both of them proved to be phishing emails and both were addressed to me personally.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »

I'm afraid this no longer seems to hold true.

I have received very authentic looking emails recently: from my internet provider and from paypal. Both of them proved to be phishing emails and both were addressed to me personally.
The difference with this scam, and what is especially worrying people is that it IS addressed to the right person, and not to Dear customer.

Mike

That is most definitely very alarming.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I have received very authentic looking emails recently: from my internet provider and from paypal.

I should of course have said that they purported to come from my internet provider and from paypal.

The email from my 'internet provider' took me to what appeared to be their website but was in fact based on a very clever screenshot of the home page. It only dawned on me that something was wrong when I realised that very few of the links on the page worked. The ones that did took me directly to a spurious 'log in' page. It was so cleverly done that I very nearly fell for it.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »

That is most definitely very alarming.

Frank.

yes - the rules keep changing!

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Extreme Vigilance has to be the order of the day.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands