Author Topic: RUTHERFORD-COOTEHILL  (Read 4294 times)

Offline BlondieSM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RUTHERFORD-COOTEHILL
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 June 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Twinshoes

You mention getting back further than 1850

I'm only back as far as 1832 for my own family tree ( Cootehill side).

I got census 1911 & 1901
Valuation tenements 1856 give names & townland its useful.
Before that tithes 1832 but they only give names not much detai.
That's everything I can get on paper

The church records I haven't looked at many..There used be books in Priests house Cootehill.i went there once for a cert but wasn't able go through books myself.

Alot my ancestors buriel plot is Middle Chapel but headstones are on but not all names..I don't know name of our previous Catholic church.

I know St Michael's Cootehill the grave yard is very recent perhaps late 1980.s

There are birth marriage death records over Cavan town at entrance to Cavan hospital the staff again go through books I was at it years ago they charge a small fee per cert.

If you want Church of Ireland or other religions contact J Smyth.

I can't get any more paper records that's why I tried the DNA tests

Best Regards

SM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 June 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
There are birth marriage death records over Cavan town at entrance to Cavan hospital the staff again go through books I was at it years ago they charge a small fee per cert.

Vital records (births, death, marriages) are now online so you can search and view from the comfort of your home. Aside from that not sure what places are actually open to the public at the moment for non-essential services.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Lots of CAVAN RESOURCES listed at the top of the CAVAN board and more can be found in the IRISH RESOURCES board-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=506500.0
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/ireland-resources/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 June 21 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi SM,

Yes, I thought that was very cool about the Corn thrashing machine and "Jude" Rutherford.  Dad never mentioned a corn thrashing machine but he invented alot of machines so that's why I'm not at all surprised.

I am in touch with Murphy all right through another DNA website so we have had correspondence.

The McGahan's are the same.  We know them too.  They are closer type cousins.

I did correspond with Mr. Smythe a few times but I didn't know his family was located close to Drumgreen.  My father was alive at the time and he was more interested in knowing which Smythe he was.  He wondered if he was any relation of Paddy Smyth the TD who used to be in talking to my Grandmother, Rose Rutherford, (many many years ago).  I'll try Mr. Smythe again. I'll also try the Celt.

It's many generations back, probably to about pre1800-1849 I'm looking for John Rutherford and wife, Rebecca,  who were in Drumgreen and had at least 2 children born there in 1820's.  There were Wrights and Reilly's there was well as Pritchard.  I can see the names on the Tithe Applotment Records.  My Rutherford's moved from there to Maghernacaldry, and then to Carolina.  Then to Drumrooghill with Vincent, the one who stayed in the area. 

Thanks so much for all your help.  It was really quite nice reading all this.  I enjoyed it very much. 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 June 21 08:04 BST (UK) »

Here's the link to the Tithe Applotment Books for Drumgreen (1828) - at bottom of page.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587434/004587434_00130.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you KG - I have seen that allright - was lucky enough to find it as it doesn't search under Co. Cavan.  Its mistakenly found under Co. Down.  I've tried to report the error but I can't get the link to do it right for some reason.  Now it's those neighbors of John Rutherford that I would love to have a chat with!  Wrights, Reillys, Kearneys, Pritehard, and the Widow Anne Smith.

Thank you SM!  I am going to try to message you privately as I would love to compare your DNA results with you being from around that area.  I have a pretty good knowledge of how to use the DNA sites.  There's also the Census in the 1820's which can be found on Findmypast.com.  It's a paying site.  Not all the areas are on there but there are some parts of Cavan.  There's also Roots Ireland which is another paying site but I couldn't live without it.  We have plenty of relations buried in the Middle Chapel.  I have now messaged Johnathan Smyth in the only way I can find to make contact.  The previous email I had was no longer functional.  I would need the Church of Ireland Records.  I have been in contact with several of their churches in the last 2 years and did get a bit of information all right but they sent their books off to Dublin, whatever books they had, and a woman was kind enough to give me something before they shipped them off.  I would love to get a look through the books myself. 

There is also a John Rutherford who had a notions and linnen shop on Main St. Cootehill, 1830's, as was seen in a businesses census of the area, and I wonder if he is the same John Rutherford from Drumgreen.

Anyway, at this point if there's someone out there who is related to the Wrights, Reillys, Kearneys, Pritchard, and Smiths of Drumgreen 1800-1850, I would love to hear from them. Perhaps compare DNA! 

Twinshoes

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey, I'll check out all the links.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:16 BST (UK) »

I have seen that allright - was lucky enough to find it as it doesn't search under Co. Cavan.  Its mistakenly found under Co. Down.  I've tried to report the error but I can't get the link to do it right for some reason.

You appear to be only able to change the surname and forename of the person.......nothing else  ???

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 June 21 21:48 BST (UK) »
yes, not a very good remedy as quite a few of us would include Cavan.  I'm sure I missed this information for a few years because of it.  It was only when I started to drop specific filters in most of my searches that a whole new word opened up for me.  That would include Roots Ireland as well many other sites.  Put in very little information and that will yield far more.  Patterns of obvious error start to materialize.