Author Topic: PASS marriage - James to Hannah c1850?  (Read 4344 times)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PASS marriage - James to Hannah c1850?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 February 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I'd got the 1851 Farm servant one with the Wright family as being "my" James Pass - in1841 I've got him as with father William(35) ag lab, and mother Ann Pass(35), but obviously not gone further with that lot yet.
It's actually quite an interesting and tenuous link with my family, one of James and Hannah's daughters, Jane, gave birth to two children "without benefit of clergy", one Fred, born in 1881 doesn't seem to have lived for long.
The other, Edith Annie, born 1885 appeared on a census as "adopted" with one line of my family, for just the single census, probably she was a living-in servant for the next census somewhere, but she was later married from my family's address, and gave two of her own children my family surname as part of their names ... and I have been trying to find out exactly what the relationship may have been. Jane, the mother of Edith, was a servant, and not that easy to trace onwards from 1890s.
I'm trying that old favourite looking sideways and seeing if I can find distant family links somehow, as "Pass" is a surname that occurs in another area where family names occur. I can't believe it was just a random adoption.
Thanks for the help, all of you. It allows me to search further - and deeper! Thanks Jan57, that was the way I'd found Hannah Beech - but as I said, she didn't seem to check out in the long run.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PASS marriage - James to Hannah c1850?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 February 15 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Oh, and with this help I've already matched Hannah Beswick's 1891 census entry as James' wife when her birthplace becomes "Elkstone Cheshire" with an 1851 entry birthplace for her as " Elstone Staffs" - she usually claims Leek in Staffordhire in other censuses. Looks like she will prove to be the right one! Thanks again.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)