Author Topic: David Welch/Wealch, Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire  (Read 8939 times)

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Welch/Wealch, Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire
« on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've managed to trace a line of my family back to David Welch (or Wealch) who was baptised on 8.12.1767 at Llandyfaelog, Carms.  The information I've managed to find for his baptism doesn't state his parents' names.
Likewise, I've found a reference to his marriage to Rachel Merriman (also spelled Rachael and Merryman!) in Penally, Pembrokeshire on 11.12.1798.  She was baptised on 19.9.1778 in Saint Issell, Pembrokeshire.
Their childrens' surnames are DAVID/DAVIES though, as it appears it was quite common back then for the children to take the father's first name as their surname - as is done in parts of Scandinavia still (children are John David 3.11.1800; Benjamin David ca.1802; and David David 1809).
I've had no luck finding anything for David or Rachel's parentage, and for all I know, their surnames are the first names of their fathers!  If anyone can offer any help with any of this, I'd be most grateful.
Many thanks.  :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: David Welch/Wealch, Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses to the marriage were Isaac Welch and William Meriman.  David was a Farmer of St Issells, Rachel was of Penally.

Where were the children christened
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
The free index on FindMyPast shows baptisms at St Issells for
Benjamin Welch 1803
William Welch 1808
David Welch 1809

The surname showing on the record is Welch

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I've had no luck finding anything for David or Rachel's parentage, and for all I know, their surnames are the first names of their fathers!  If anyone can offer any help with any of this, I'd be most grateful.

The baptisms should show fathers names.  Where did you get the information regarding the dates and places for baptism.  :-\

FindMyPast's free index shows a father John for the baptism of Rachel that you have.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the batch for llandyfaelog on Familysearch and all the baptisms prior to 1750 sem to be patronymic,  but mostly fathers actual surnames are given, it may be a case of trawling thro every entry to see if there is a father named welch.

Mike

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 15 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has a record of the baptism of David Welch, 8 Dec 1767, Llanyfaelog (sic) - no parent's names given.

David's father was "Wm Welch" - mother's name not recorded

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has the marriage of a "Wm Welch and Ann William, Llanyfaelog" on 13 Feb 1763.

Possibility?

If you search Familysearch baptisms using simply Last Names "Welch", Birthplace "Llanyfaelog" and date range 1763 - 1785 might identify possible siblings for David?

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 February 15 13:38 GMT (UK) »
First of all, thank you very much to all of you for taking an interest and being so helpful.

The route by which I came to David Welch and Rachel Merriman was through the original death certificate of 1875 of their grandson (I think), (Joseph) Thomas Davies (aka David), who was the son of Benjamin Davies and Mary Anne Propert.  I found the marriage of this couple and traced them on the 1841 and 1851 census records (Benjn David aged 39, and Benjamen Davies aged 46 respectively) with his wife and children, including Thomas aged 11 on the 1841 census.  If I have the right Benjamin - and I haven't been able to find another for the right place and time - he is my g-g-g-grandfather on my dad's mother's side (Davies).  I then worked back from this to find Benjamin's parents: David Welch and Rachel Merriman.

The records I've used are from the ODM transcriptions on Dusty Docs, which links into the Church of the Latter Day Saints Family Search site.  Unfortunately, they often give limited information from the original records they've transcribed.

As for the name - I've found the same children and baptism dates as you for Benjamin (bap.1803, St Issells) and brother David (bap.1809, St Issells), but with the surname David and parents David Welch and Rachel Merriman (I also found one for John David in 1800 in St Issell to this couple).  The transcripted records I've found clearly say that the father was David Welch and his son, Benjamin's surname was David.  I've also seen quite a number of other records of this time (and later), where the child's surname is the father's first name, which is why I've found this all a bit confusing and not been sure what names I should look for going further back.

One of the biggest problems I've had with all my family research has been having to depend on other people's transcriptions.  Having done some checking of transcripts for one genealogy site, I found some pretty awful errors, which was quite disheartening.  Anyway, Welch or David, I'm pretty sure I've got the right people.

I shall now have a dig around with the information you've very kindly provided and see where that takes me.

Thank you all so much for your interest and help  :D

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 February 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family you are looking at in 1841 - Dinas - where Benjamin married Mary Anne Propert

all bn Pembrokeshire
Benjn David 39   
Mary   David 39   
Thos   David 11   
Anne   David 8   
Charlotte David   5   
Joseph David 3   

and the same family in 1851 still in Dinas
H0107/ 2481 f38 p23
Benjamin Davies 49 bn Maenclochog, Pembrokeshire
Mary Anne Davies 48 bn Fishguard, Pembrokeshire
Charlotte Davies   14 bn Dinas, Pembrokeshire