Author Topic: Hugh Owen Kings Head Amlwch  (Read 6514 times)

Offline digidol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Owen Kings Head Amlwch
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 July 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Bore Da clwyd2.
Many thanks for your reply and the pictures. Hugh Owen's wife, whom he married in 1863 was Jane Hughes, daughter to William Hughes, Corn Ellyll, Llaneilian and sister to William Hughes, Bodgadfa, Amlwch. When Sarah Elizabeth Kinsey, William's wife died in 1903, some time after 1911 Mary Hughes,one of William Hughes's daughters came to be his housekeeper and look after the children, especially the twin sisters, Jane and Sarah Elizabeth.  Mary was a niece of Jane, Hugh Owen's wife.
I have a picture of Mary Hughes and the twins taken in 1917 which I attach.
Sara Elizabeth (or Lizzie as she was known as) married George Frederick Weeden, an Amlwch chemist in 1928. I attach a picture of the wedding. The biro mark, made by my mother, points to her as a little girl of 12 wearing a cloche hat of the latest style!!!! Lizzie died in 1960 and I can remember my mother going to her funeral.
I also remeber many of 'teulu King's Head' as my mother called them, the generation that were second cousins to my mother, Jessie (Foulkes) who ran the Copper Kettle next door to the King's Head for years and also Mem, Nance and Jeannie, who ran Caxton House, where i had many an ice cream, bags of sweets and 'Matchbox' toy cars. Nance was my piano teacher for many years, a very good teacher but who also fussed one hell of a lot!
I suppose you know the story of how William Owen, Hugh's grandson, rescued a boy from drowning in 1915 and was awarded the Humane Socitey's Certificate.
I was brought up in Amlwch, but have moved away years ago. It is quite depressing to return there now, a mere shadow of what it used to be.
Oh by the way, when did William Owen, father of the twins die? I have been unable to pinpoint an exact date.

Unfortunately my scanner is playing up so I must send the pictures later.
Monday morning blues I suppose.

digidol

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 15 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Digidol we both seem to have the same info on the family,I think Jane Hughes was a widow when she married Hugh as I have her down as Jane Thomas who had a daughter Mary Jane Thomas who is down as the stepdaughter of Hugh Owen.Mary Jane married a Capt W Williams ,I have a copy of Hugh's will in which he he states I leave my stepdaughter Mary Jane Williams the freehold house and premises known as Brittania house in Amlwch port ,she  and her husband previously rented the house
from Hugh.I have a photo of the twins and another child alongside a lady who looks like a teacher  maybe of music.My Wife lived in Amlwch until 1952 in Bryn Awelon next to tobacco works Don't know if you lived in Amlwch around same time.You can PM me if you want any personal info. photo of
Wiil Owen [son of William] other is the twins .I know William died before 1947 my wife's birth year as she had never met him .Her Grandfather was John Owen - died 12/3/1941

Offline digidol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 July 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Good morning clwyd2 and a very wet one it is here!
It had escaped me that Jane Hughes had been married before marrying Hugh Owen. I have tracked her down, in that she married an Owen Thomas in the winter of 1857. Mary Jane was born in 1859 and was followed by a son Hugh in 1860. It is possible that he died young as there is no record of him in the 1871 census return

Jane married Captain William Williams andhad at least two daughters, Jane was born in 1892and was assisting in the brewery at King's Head in 1911. She also had a sister Gwendoline born in 1900 who gained her ALCM diploma in 1919. I know where Britannia is in Porth Amlwch. Hugh Owen must have built up a very nice property portfolio!

The King's Head family were all musical and it is possible that the gene came from Jane Hughes as all her family both here and in the States were and still are musical.
In the 1861 census, which was April 5th if I remember she was living at Lime Kiln Road, above the harbour at Amlwch and was described as 'Seaman's Widow-Merchant Service'. I have been unable to locate  a death certificate for Owen Thomas and we can surmise that he was lost at sea.

Manythanks for the photos. The one of Willi is very interesting as I have discovered he was called for the Navy in 1919 and appears to have been released the same year. I am also  certain that William, his father died in 1920 the year before his grandfather. That ties in to the formation of the Amlwch Tobacco Company in 1921 in place of Hugh Owen and Sons.

John his uncle was also involved in the business until his death in 1941. Willie himself died it appears in 1947 and his brother in 1950. That could have been when the business ceased to trade even though the company was not wound up until 1962. I can well remember the works in the 1950's all closed up it appeared.

You note that your wife left Amlwch in 1952, which is the year I was born, so consequently our paths did not cross at all.

I have a problem with uploading photos for you. Every time I attempt to do so, every one is refused on account of being too large for the server. I have also tried placing them individually in a zip file with no success. Can you advise on how you do it?

What do you think of the idea if we exchanged e.mail addresses? There would be no problem then.

It is a pity my mother is not still withus, she would have had so much more to contribute.

But there we are.

Take care,

digidol

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 July 15 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Digidol.I didn't scan the photos as I can't upload them either ,I  photographed them with my digital camera then loaded them onto PC then just click file to load onto forum.It is possible they will download from scanner to ordinary E Mail .I will send you my E Mail address via a PM on the forum.I have just been trying to find Will's DOB on NWales BMD but can't find it got the twins and Hugh's I had a thought he may have been born in Liverpool as William previously worked for liverpool waterboard before returning to Amlwch to help John run tobacco works as John had been in poor health for many years .I have just checked a postcard sent by Will to his 3 cousins Jane, May and Vyrnwy at Bryn Awelon dated Dec 18th 1918 when on active service in the Baltic so I would think he would have been approx 18/19 yrs old so DOB about 1900.Best wishes Chris in Liverpool.