Author Topic: Any ideas on this Berkshire place name please?  (Read 8772 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on this Berkshire place name please?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Evidently, the enumerator was being helpful in 'marking' this particular stretch of his route. I have seen it on other Census returns. Actually, Bourton is probably only a 30 minute drive away from me.

I've not been there, but my grandmother was born at Uffington in 1878. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for their comments.  At the moment the anecdotal evidence suggests that the James Hart and Sarah Titchner marriage at Bampton is correct and as there is a baptism of a Sarah in Shrivenham at the right time (from Bourton), it looks like an error by the enumerator.  As the Gloucestershire PRs are now on ancestry, I've had a look in Bourton on the Hill, and for that matter the wider indexes (although I know they aren't entirely complete), and there is no sign of a Sarah Titchner in Gloucestershire so I think the Shrivenham is most likely.  However, will see what else I can find to confirm this for my friend.

Have yet to visit Shrivenham but as I've quite a few ancestors from there myself (including some I share with youngtug), its on the cards for some day. ;D  Never been past on the train since its not quite in the right direction for me. ;)

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 22:00 GMT (UK) »
If the enumerator was being helpful, it could well be a case of; eats, shoots, and leaves
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY