Author Topic: CROSS (non-conformists), All  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CROSS (non-conformists), All
« on: Monday 19 July 04 17:54 BST (UK) »
I am missing many twigs and branches from my Cross family tree, and I would love to hear from anyone with connections to non-conformist Cross's.
my Cross family's earliest known ancestor was Edmond Cross of Woodbridge, Suffolk. he may have been the son of Edmond Cross and his wife Anne, of Framlingham, Suffolk. Edmond Cross, Jr. moved to Woodbridge and by 1654 was forced to baptise his children in St. Mary's church, Woodbridge. by 1655 he'd had his fill of the Church of England and joined the Quaker faith. some of his descendants remained in the Quaker faith for over 200 years or more, but some left quickly, disappearing into other non-conformist faiths. two of which I know descendants went into are Independant and Wesleyan Methodist. unfortunately, they didn't join as a group, so I've only found one family in the Independant church and one family in the Methodist church. until and unless more non-conformist records get extracted and made available online, I wait and hope to hear from cousins...but that has, as yet, been a very slow process. I have heard from a handful over the last 17 years, but I am eager to hear from the rest.
please contact me if you have any knowledge of Cross's in non-conformist records, or any connection to non-conformist Cross's.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline jwoodmansey

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: non-conformist related to surname Cross
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 17:44 BST (UK) »
The Cross family have been in Flamborough, E. Yorks since the 1600s.  They were primitive methodists.
Cross (Flamborough), Buckton (Darlington), Woodmansey, (Driffield, Langtoft, Beverley), Lake.  All Kingston upon Hull

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 04 18:23 GMT (UK) »
intriguing....I've never traced any Cross's into Yorks except in the case of Lucy Cross of Colchester who married Arthur Waterfall. the Waterfalls were Yorks residents and she removed back to her husband's home town. their descendants are still in Yorks to this day. the Waterfalls have been researching their ancestry for quite some time so that branch just fell into my lap.
I'd love to hear more about your Methodist Cross's.
my own direct line was Wesleyan Methodist after they left the Quaker faith. I don't know if Primitive and Wesleyan are the same or not. I haven't run into any P. Methodists in my lines so I haven't researched them.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline jwoodmansey

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 November 04 11:17 GMT (UK) »
The Cross family were based in Flamborough and some moved to Bridlington and Hull, and other nearby spots.  They are easy to trace due to the tradition in Flamborough of giving males their mother's maiden name as a second name.  The other names that have cropped up are Cammish, Emmerson, Tanton and a few others.  The name Watefall has not appeared nor has Lucy as a family name.  Although they were methodists they all seem to be buried in the C of E churchyard - ST Oswald's at Flamborough, St Oswald was a northern saint King of Northumbria, I thought he would be connected to the sea but seems not.  Most of the families in Flamborough were fishermen or farmers.
Cross (Flamborough), Buckton (Darlington), Woodmansey, (Driffield, Langtoft, Beverley), Lake.  All Kingston upon Hull

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 November 04 20:10 GMT (UK) »
my Cross's were in Woodbridge, moving on to Walton and then Colchester. they started out as grocers, then moved on to cabinet making, cordwaining, linen draping and grain factoring. several early ones were yeomen.
as for naming traditions, I find few of that, though one line has 5 generations of Edmond Cross's-maybe more, I got stuck at the most recent one. otherwise the "tradition" was to use the most common given names in all families and generations! Mary, John, Joseph, and Elizabeth ad nausea. one tradition that started comparitively late is a string of Aubrey Cross's. I have yet to find where anyone is buried outside of a Friend's burial ground. the family that turned Methodist left for America (my branch) and are buried in various cemeteries around Pennsylvania and Ohio. non-denominational cemeteries.

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CROSS (non-conformists), All
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 10:45 BST (UK) »
I was intrigued to see the name Arthur Waterfall in relation to Colchester. I have an Arthur b 1867 Hyson Green, Notts, son of Charles & Selina Waterfall. Charles was in Colchester for the 1851c, and his sister Eliza was born there (parents Abraham & Ann Waterfall).  I didn't find any others in the whole of Colchester other than this family.

I have not traced them to Yorks at all, but they are believed to have been Quakers and did tend to move about a bit.  Do you have access to Quaker records?

regards
Doreen

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 05 04:40 BST (UK) »
I know that the people you mention are a part of the tree...well, if I understand correctly, all Waterfalls are of the same tree...anyway, I know I recognise those names. I just don't have them in my files because they are collaterals. part of a differant branch than the one I am related to. somewhere in my paper files I have more on the Waterfalls, if I kept it-there was alot on people I'm not related to in it. but my plate is so full right now I hardly have time to read my emails, so a search will have to wait. we may have to move before I can get to searching. I think there's a large Waterfall file at GenesReunited and perhaps at WorldConnect, as well.
I only have access to Quaker records through the Mormon library. I haven't been able to use the one nearest our home, but haven't tried the one in the next town over. We moved here 4 years ago and it seems we haven't had much free time since. now zoning's changing and we're up and preparing to move again.
got to serve dinner now. I've got sinus pressure and am not thinking clearly, so if this isn't very clear, let me know and I'll respond again. also, email me in several weeks and see if I've had time to look for the papers. my other half has cataract surgery, so I'm a bit distracted, ferrying him hither and yon...I do really want to help you, though. so it's ok to "nag", in fact, it's appreciated!

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 May 05 12:13 BST (UK) »
 :) Ok, when you get an opportunity I would appreciate it if you can look at your Waterfalls file for me. No hits on GR nor WorldConnect, and I hadn't thought of the LDS Centre...haven't been over there for ages because it's open at odd times for me.
Good luck
Doreen

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I do not know which faith my Cross's are in but they come from Essex.  Do yours?
Regards
Hollie Brock
ramsay - paisley, brock - glasgow, brackenridge - Scotland, thomson-Scotland, richardson- Scotland, mcclure- Scotland, raeside - Scotland, brown - Scotland, borland - Scotland, mckeller - Scotland, caton - essex, Cross - Navestock/Mount Nessing, moseley- london/staffordshire, mcneil, davies, harper, blake, fitzjohn, steer, kennington, venables - cheshunt, ward, cook, pavey