Author Topic: CROSS (non-conformists), All  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CROSS (non-conformists), All
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 00:31 BST (UK) »
hi, Holly,
yes, I have a lot of Cross's in Colchester, from at least 1736 to 1880's maybe a handful earlier and later, and some scattered around in Essex. I'd love to hear from you regarding your Cross's, who they were, where they lived and the time frame.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

The earliest Cross i have is John b.1750ish in Mount Nessing? Essex. He married in about 1772 to Sarah Stileman. 

They had a son William b1783ish (christnd 2.7.1783 in Gt. Warley, Essex.  He married Ann Green 1808 in Navestock (she later remarried).

william and Ann had 3 children together :
Maria b1816
William b.1820
George b 1827

William b1820/1 married Eliza Stains and had Emma Cross b1854 Navestock   and Rosetta b.1865

Ring a bell?

Hollie
ramsay - paisley, brock - glasgow, brackenridge - Scotland, thomson-Scotland, richardson- Scotland, mcclure- Scotland, raeside - Scotland, brown - Scotland, borland - Scotland, mckeller - Scotland, caton - essex, Cross - Navestock/Mount Nessing, moseley- london/staffordshire, mcneil, davies, harper, blake, fitzjohn, steer, kennington, venables - cheshunt, ward, cook, pavey

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 00:57 BST (UK) »
doesn't ring an immediate bell, Hollie, but I'm missing the descendancies of several ancestors. I do have one John born in that period, and we don't know what happened to him.
have you looked the children up in the parish records? are they CofE or non-conf?

my John b. 4 Mar 1751 (old calender) in Colchester to Edmund Cross and Hannah Hawkins, both of Colchester Meeting.

Edmund was b. in Walton, Suffolk and he and his descendants, as well as his brother Peter and his descendants, were in and around Colchester for many generations.

, Emma, Maria and William are common names in the family, George much less common and Rosetta unheard of.

Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 01:03 BST (UK) »
unfortunatly i havn't looked them up on parish records.  Mainly because my mum's cousin has found all this out and i havn't had a chance to look for any more info on them.  I was thinking of looking up William Cross b1821ish in the 71 census and going from there.  I'll do lots of research on this tonight and post if i find anything else out.

Regards
Hollie Brock
ramsay - paisley, brock - glasgow, brackenridge - Scotland, thomson-Scotland, richardson- Scotland, mcclure- Scotland, raeside - Scotland, brown - Scotland, borland - Scotland, mckeller - Scotland, caton - essex, Cross - Navestock/Mount Nessing, moseley- london/staffordshire, mcneil, davies, harper, blake, fitzjohn, steer, kennington, venables - cheshunt, ward, cook, pavey

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 01:12 BST (UK) »
hope I'm not teaching you what you already know...
he may be at FamilySearch.com in the IGI. the Mormon church extracted all the British CofE and a few non-conf. parish records some time back. see if you can contact your cousin, if possible. that will give you some more information. it would be fantastic if our John's were one and the same. I was recently contacted by a man who wondered if we might be related, but neither of us had enough data to go by. between my digging on the net and his purchasing records, we eventually succeeded in proving he was descended from one of my collateral branches that had been a mystery to me. I hope the same turns out for this one, though it's too early for records...

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Yes, i had searched on the familysearch.org website.

I have not found out much about william cross b1783 however i have more details from the William Cross b1821:

William Cross b1821 Navestock His wife, Eliza ( i have been told Stains) b.1827
                      d1902 Ongar                              d1902 Ongar

They're children:
William Alfred b1848      married Ann Corp     Children = Florence and Alfred
Emma  b.1854               married Benjamin Fitzjohn    Children = 8
Ellen Eliza b.1859          married Charles Sarling       Children = don't know
Rosetta b.1865 (apparently)
Walter Charles b.1868     Not sure about wives and children yet.

Does any of this help yet?

Hollie Brock

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 03:16 BST (UK) »
no, nothing, yet. I think we will have to wait until you've got something on John...mine was #12 of 13 children, many of them died young so the names are repeated-Edmund, Mary, Hannah, Sarah, Joseph and John are the children's names, but most of them are repeated several times. Joseph, John and Mary are the only single use names. we don't know what happened to John and Mary, I descend from Joseph, one Edmund did survive, he and Joseph m. sisters Mary and Martha Mayhew. we also don't know what happened to the last Hannah in the family. so we may have oodles of cousins out there and not know it.

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 03:18 BST (UK) »
Ok then,

How would i go about getting more information about John b1750?  Is there anything i can do on the internet?

Hollie

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 03:33 BST (UK) »
I have just been looking at another site, and wondered if these people were connected to you:

1 John Cross b: August 02, 1815 in Saint Martins, Colchester, Essex, England d: January 18, 1863 in Murfreesboro, Rutherford, Tennessee  http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::203.html

There is also this person: 1 Hannah Lydia Cross b: January 13, 1818 in Trinity, Colchester, Essex, England d: February 25, 1897 in Navarre, Stark, Ohio
http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::204.html

James Cross b: July 27, 1820 in Trinity, Colchester, Essex, England d: May 02, 1883 in Washington, DC  http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::205.html

1 Josiah Cross b: October 04, 1822 in Trinity, Colchester, Essex, England d: March 23, 1890 in Saint Louis, Missouri  http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::206.html

William H Cross b: September 28, 1811 in Saint Martins, Colchester, Essex, England d: February 05, 1863 in Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee  http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::202.html

Joseph Aubrey Cross b: August 13, 1807 in Saint Botolph, Colchester, Essex, England d: April 28, 1893 in Lancaster, Lancaster, Pennsylvania  http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::201.html

Joseph Cross, b. Jun 2, 1782, Colchester, Essex, England m. Hannah Smith (listed as Hannah Miller in family papers) b. Dec 12, 1785, of Colchester. They came to America around 1845, settled in Lancaster, PA.   http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::60.html   

The lady also says:  I have a lot of info on this family, but some area's still need to be covered. I also have their ancestry back to 1646, much to be found yet on more distant lines, will share what I have.

Peter Cross, son of Peter Cross and Mary Wilkenson of Woodbridge, Suffolk, England, m. in 1762 in Colchester, Essex, England to Elizabeth Burnham, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Hewers Burnham.
Peter and Elizabeth had children; Peter, Elizabeth, Sarah, Margaret, Joseph, Wilkinson and Hannah.
Peter had a brother Edmund of whom I know very little.
wish to hear from cousins http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?essex::cross::1034.html

Hollie