Author Topic: Langley Family  (Read 11869 times)

Offline ChristineBonnitcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Langley Family
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that I will try all you have suggested and let you know how I go
Bruce, Langley, Wohlgemuth, Cooper, Pearson, Meakin, Warren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean Christies auction house?

Offline Brookelangley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 14 July 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi There
Just reading over this post from a google link!
So Henry Langley of Union Hat Mills was my great great grandfather.
He was born in Stockport 1958 to Elizabeth & Henry Langley.
He married Hannah, was a felt hatter, and had a daughter Elizabeth. Somewhere along the line (or so the story goes) he skipped town and left his wife and child to And ended up in Australia.
He was first in Victoria then to NSW.

He had a daughter Carry Edna Langley, the mother (which we are unsure to confirm if they were married) was a Kate/Carry Knowles
Carry Edna Langley was my great grandmother.

Kate/Carry Knowles died when she was about 32, and Henry remarried to a Helen/Nellie Bushe. They had some kids together also.
They resides mainly in the Coogee/Randwick area

I’ve been told Helen/Nellie was quite a dragon lady - and had told Carry Edna that she was an illegitimate child (semi confirming suspicions that Henry and Kate/Carry were never indeed married)

Carry Edna Langley married James Reginald Mackenzie - and in turn had my grandmother - Jean Langley Mackenzie, along with 3 other children.

We have also since found out Henry Langley owned Union Hat Mills & Union Gelatine Mills in Waterloo NSW - U.G.M was later acquired by Davis Gelatine.
He also knew Dunkerly Hat Mills which became Akubra hats. 

A lot of this may be irrelevant to your family history - but it may help you in your searches within family names etc.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 14 July 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this info. It is my mums family. 

Do you mean Hry was born 1859 not 1958?

Do you have his grandparents?  Some of the names are new to me so it will be interesting to see how the link up.

Are you in Australia?

Cheers
Christine

Offline Brookelangley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 14 July 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
1858, sorry 19 was a typo!
Well I can tell you in my searches an Ernest Langley and Harriet May Paine owned Bedford Hat Company which was ladies hats, in 33 Wells st Redfern NSW
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/searchhits_nocopy?id=48&name%20of%20firm=&nature%20of%20business=Hat&place%20of%20business=&person%20carrying%20on%20business=Langley&additional%20people%20in%20business=

Henry Langley’s parents were Henry & Elizabeth Langley (née warren)

Still trying to get further with that with names (it seems every family has a Henry, a Thomas & a John!)

I’m in Sydney, you?
How is your mum related?
I’ll see what else I can find and keep in touch!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 14 July 19 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
Ernest and Alice are my grandparents on my Mum's side.

Yes I knew Ernest and Harriet owned the mills in Sydney.

I thought Henry may also have been know as Harry as Harry and John owned Union Hat Mills in Carlton Vic. Lots in Trove abt them. and Albert too I think.

We are in Hobart at the moment due to hubby's dad on palliative care and all the family are here.  We moved down from Millthorpe a cpl months ago.  Moving back to QLD next year after dad passes.

Do you have any family photos? My sister has all the photos and we don't talk.....

Cheers
Chrissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 10 August 19 03:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my grandfathers family. Ernest Charles Langley 1882-1946 (died in Sydney, Australia) married Alice, immigrated to Australia 1907 with brothers and sisters, lived in Stockport. Possibly worked in hat mills but don't know which one. His brother Henry/Harry started Union Hat Mills in Victoria, Australia.  Living in Australia I am having trouble tracing anything about hat mills, have family tree on Ancestry.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Have you looked at any census images?

Ernest LANGLEY was not connected to the hatting industry in 1901.  He was a cotton mule spinner in a cotton factory.

His father, John, was a hatter apparently preparing felt.

The ship Persic arrived Feb 1907 and the manifest shows Ernest LANGLEY as a Butcher- as far as I am able to decipher. The three young children, as you say, siblings of Ernest LANGLEY, are listed- Elizabeth aged 8, Annie aged 10 and Harry aged 11. They were all contracted to disembark at Melbourne.
One William George LANGLEY was on the same voyage. He was 32 and I cannot decipher his occupation. He was contracted to land in Sydney.

Sue

Hi Sue
Im just going back over my records and wondered if you could tell me where you found this info please? I cant find it on NAA. I realise its been years but here's hoping.... Cheers Chrissy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 10 August 19 04:38 BST (UK) »
Umm.... 

I can see a William G LANGLEY  a single male aged 52 with 'None' entered for Profession, Occupation, or Calling of Passengers ... on a Passenger List for the Persic, contracted to Land in Sydney  but for the Voyage in October 1907,  Western Australia Cree and Passenger Lists, through Albany...

I think it is 52 years of age, but it could be 32 ... anyway  see snip attached  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 10 August 19 05:31 BST (UK) »
Umm.... 

I can see a William G LANGLEY  a single male aged 52 with 'None' entered for Profession, Occupation, or Calling of Passengers ... on a Passenger List for the Persic, contracted to Land in Sydney  but for the Voyage in October 1907,  Western Australia Cree and Passenger Lists, through Albany...

I think it is 52 years of age, but it could be 32 ... anyway  see snip attached  :)

JM

Thanks but im really after Ernest and could you please tell me where and how you found this info please? I have other Langleys who arrived from England that I need to research ...
Cheers C