Author Topic: William Detchon - Rothbury, Great Tosson, Elsdon  (Read 12143 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: William Detchon - Rothbury, Great Tosson, Elsdon
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 June 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

You need to make 3 posts before you can send private messages but it seems that MD3tch0n has not been on the site since March 2015.  If he/she still has the same email address then the message could still be received.

Christine

Offline RDtchn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 11 June 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Okay, thanks.

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Smith of Rothbury 1745-1822
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
After quite some time trying to trace back ancestors John Smith, Jane Detchon and George Carr pre 1800, I was delighted recently to find some key family history clues in the will of John Smith which I discovered only recently online in Durham records.

England, Durham, Diocese ...Original Wills, 1650-1857  DPRI/1/1822/S16

John Smith married Jane Detchon in 1766. Their daughter Jane Smith married George Carr in 1795 and the will does provide a clue to the fact they indeed did have another child (as c-side suggested as a possibility in a previous post) . I could find no record of the birth of another daughter in baptism records, and had almost given up until I found a Mary Kerr was mentioned together with the other three children in the grandfather’s will. I had no problem finding the birth/baptism records of the other three children, so assumed there were no other children. Mary was born after these three children. I think she was born at some time between 1802 to 1806 in Rothbury but I can not find any baptism record.

George Carr (John Smith’s son in law) is also mentioned but the will gives the surname as Kerr ( not Carr) so I assume the Carr and Kerr surname was probably interchangeable at that time.  However I would very much like to trace further this George Carr (aka Kerr) and wonder if this is a clue to discovering more about him.  A Thomas Butament is also mentioned. George Kerr and Thomas Butament are named as executors. I assume Thomas Butament is also a relative of John Smith but so far can not determine any family link. George Kerr is definitely his son in law.

If anyone has any suggestions how I can find more about this ancestor George Carr (Kerr),  I should  be very grateful indeed. I rather hoped that this new information might provide further clues but yet again am meeting the proverbial brick wall, despite discovering so much more quite unexpectedly from this recent find.

Offline RDtchn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
I found in the Northumberland Archives a copy of "The history of the family of Carr of Dunston Hill, co. Durham, and the collateral lines in England" by Ralph Edward Carr and others, published in 1893. It appears to be a collection of his notes, not organized entirely into narrative, but you may find it helpful.