Author Topic: GOSS Family Canada - Originally From Liverpool  (Read 16722 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GOSS Family Canada - Originally From Liverpool
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 28 February 15 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the marriage for Margaret A McDowall 1929 West Derby to Charles Roberts

Death Margaret Alice Roberts birth date 20/6/1906 died in Liverpool November 1992  :)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 28 February 15 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Rosie you are a treasure - thanks for looking that up - poster will really appreciate your help with this one  ;D That's the marriage we are waiting for the certificate for - but the poster on Genes Reunited mentioned Peggy (McDowall) married a Platt  ???
Doesn't look as if the connection in Canada is sister Margaret.  Could have been a Goss connection I suppose - John Goss had 4 sisters and a brother.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 28 February 15 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm so grateful for this help. I'm working over this weekend, but able to snatch a quick reply. I have replied to your pm Sandra. Rosie, thank you. 

I have sent messages to two people on Facebook. One man originally from Liverpool, now living in Ontario. Plus a young student living in Liverpool. Both named Goss, so fingers crossed they might be a descendant of one of John Goss's siblings & might have address details for their two sons in Canada.

Thanks a million to you all

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline LoughshinnyMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 April 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
I realize that this is an old thread but I'll reply anyway. John W Goss was my Mum's cousin (although I think there wan't much contact). John W was definitely the son of John James Doran Goss & Margaret Mallon.

There is a New York State arrival for John's youngest brother - J P. (born 1929 issued April 1960, obviously, and sadly, flying out for the funeral & staying at Main St. Linden, New Jersey, where the burial took place.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 02 April 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi  LoughshinnyMc

Welcome to RootsChat

Newspaper report of the accident - The Record Hackensack, New Jersey
15 Apr 1960, Fri    Page 1

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47846097/john-w-goss-agnes-goss-15-april-1960/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 02 April 20 13:26 BST (UK) »

Report on the son - The Herald-News Passaic, New Jersey
18 Apr 1960, Mon    Page 30

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47846166/alan-goss-son-18-april-1960/

Sandra

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 02 April 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
I realize that this is an old thread but I'll reply anyway. John W Goss was my Mum's cousin (although I think there wan't much contact). John W was definitely the son of John James Doran Goss & Margaret Mallon.

There is a New York State arrival for John's youngest brother - J P. (born 1929 issued April 1960, obviously, and sadly, flying out for the funeral & staying at Main St. Linden, New Jersey, where the burial took place.

Hi, thank you so very much for this information & the link to the accident report in the newspaper. 
It is still very sad reading after all these years.

I am the niece of John Welsby (deceased), who was John Goss's best friend.  They worked at the Lucas factory together in Liverpool for many years before the Goss family went to Canada & then onto America. 

I have photos, info & memories to share. 

I remember one of John Goss' sons (I assume it would be his eldest, J.) came to England in the late 1970s. He made a special journey up to the Lucas factory to find my uncle.  What a surprise my uncle got - he was overwhelmed!

I would love to contact either of the Goss sons, (J & A). I believe they stayed on in Canada with relatives.  Do you have any contact details for them that you would share? Or perhaps if you could send them my details & ask them to contact me?

I do have two other newspaper cuttings, but I did not have this one that you have given to me.  Thank you so much.

Any further information you can tell me will be very much appreciated. 

Thank you again,

Monica, Lancashire.
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:01 BST (UK) »
There were a number of accident reports but many were very similar, hard to know which ones you might have had.
Any luck tracing the 2 sons - who was the other relative in Canada ?

Sandra

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 03 April 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
There were a number of accident reports but many were very similar, hard to know which ones you might have had.
Any luck tracing the 2 sons - who was the other relative in Canada ?

Sandra

Hi Sandra

I have three newspaper reports so far but I did not have the report that you sent dated 18th April 1960, so thank you for that. The reports have given me some information as to where the family were living in New Jersey in 1960 & where their eldest son was living with friends in Toronto until he finished high school.  But I've no proof of where the two sons are living now, or if they are still alive.

I could do some mail-shots to people with the same names in the area, but I don't want to do that unless I have to.  I've found nothing on FB.  I was hoping to find a local Toronto website where I could leave a message. 

Any suggestions ?

Thank you so much for your interest & the reports.

Monica

PS:  I don't know the name of the family the eldest son was staying with.  I remember they were related in some way, although one report mentioned the eldest son was staying with friends.  So not sure on that part.
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby