Author Topic: Variation of the name Nancy ( other than Agnes and Nan)?  (Read 9025 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Variation of the name Nancy ( other than Agnes and Nan)?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 February 15 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Keep in mind that there are many people baptised one name and known by another. Nancy doesn't have to be a variant of Jane, perhaps it was just used to distinguish her from other Janes in the family. I have a Maureen who was baptised Mary Rose, my friend searched for years for an Aunt Vera's details only to find she was actually named Beatrice.

Hi,
Thanks, I really should know better!!!! I've been so focused on the Christian names (which is unlike me)
My own G uncle was known by his middle name to all of us  ( even married under it) ( even my own father and my hubby are  known by  all by their middle names only ,  they have never used their Christian names::)

More credits coming up (hopefully it's her)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 February 15 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Keep in mind that there are many people baptised one name and known by another.

My aunt remembered her aunt (born in Belfast) as Maggie & even gave me her married name. I searched everywhere only to find her name was actually Lilian  ??? ::) :P ;D

Annie.

ADDED................Nessie is also a variant of Agnes
;D thank you!!  (it gave me a right  chuckle at your story) You don't want to meet my g aunt ( she made up her own what she liked to be called Christian name, married and divorced a few times , just because she liked the name, family had to address her with  this name (she's dead now, but I knew her, she was one hell of a character). Her death in the indexes  is under the made up name/alias ( but her actual death cert gives her real names)

Frustrating  people - I wish I had nice sane ancestors (glad to know there are other families like it ;D)
kind regards:)

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 February 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Let us know how it turns out, Cell.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Regarding GRO index records; the ones I have seen do not seem to show any second names and I wondered if only first names appear in the index.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I've purchased the record, and itis the Lady in the newspaper article!  ;D. Cause of death "accidental burning, not known" loughconnelly. inquest was held on the 10th, death occurred on the 9th. No mention of her husband's name ( although says Married) , coroner reported it. occupation "housekeeper". Age 70.

No mention of a name of "Nancy" , she is just listed as Jane Purdy.

Anyway, if anyone comes  across my post and thinks that this is their  great grandmother or something , give me a PM and I'll send you the cert. I don't know if she is part of my family, she probably is somewhere ( My family are the Purdy's from Loughconnelly , they were the only ones that stayed put there , the others just disappear).

So if you're looking for a Nancy Purdy from Loughconnelly born about 1812 (husband is probably a John Purdy) husband a Water Bailiff  and can't find Nancy anywhere - Her real name is Jane (or perhaps vice versa) . It's hard enough trying to find ancestors without them using two totally different names  ::) isn't it.

Kind Regards

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Regarding GRO index records; the ones I have seen do not seem to show any second names and I wondered if only first names appear in the index.
Hi,

some of them do - I'm just looking at ancestry , this one for instance
Joseph Kirkpatrick Purdy
77 Jul-Aug-Sep 1902 Belfast

( I just noticed the above one because that middle name is on one of my certs as a witness surname to one of my Purdy's - ooh perhaps the Kirkpatrick's  are related to my family!  Which is totally different subject - I'm off track again - Ignore this comment in brackets ;D)

The  Irish death certs that I have , none of my ancestors  have middle names written  on the certs, so I don't know .
I'm about to order my G grandmothers death ( I know how  and when she died , so hadn't bothered to order the cert until now) . Anyway, she  had a middle name that she used to use as a first name , and her  official birth  was also registered with her middle name, but she is only  listed under her Christian name in the death indexes. I don't know if her middle name is on the death cert until I order it.

Looking at the gro indexes on ancestry , it does seem that the majority of deaths have no middle names, it does seem that it's only  the minority that have them ( whether this is because the informant did not report a middle name at time of death - I don't know, or for some they are not showing the indexes I don't know)

Kind Regards

Offline carolli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 08:09 GMT (UK) »
For some unknown reason I have been dropping my middle name in recent years. ??? This is not going to be helpful for future family historians! Right,  must rectify that ;)
BLOOMFIELD-Suffolk/Lancashire
KIRKBY/SWAIN/CROSSLEY-Lancashire
BYRNE-Dublin/Manchester/Lancashire
McGOUGH-Dundalk/Monaghan/Manchester
SHERIDAN-Dundalk/Manchester
TITTERINGTON-Fylde
ROWBOTHAM-Cheshire
SOUTHGATE-Suffolk/London