Author Topic: Ancestry warning message re: email address  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry warning message re: email address
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I've had this warning for a while now as well! Clicking on it didn't do anything so I've just ignored it  :-\ as it doesn't interfere with anything.

As Ancestry know about it; I suppose they will fix it soon... (Hopefully  :) )
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 05:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is part of the same problem...I'm unable to access my messages in the message centre by clicking the "envelope". They say I must do all that clearing out of cookies etc., and also change browser but I don't want to change. I access them in other ways, but if there's a number on the envelope it's more convenient to click there.
rayard.

rayard, do you use IE and have tracking protection enabled? 

If yes, and assuming you are using either IE10 or 11 (apparently it doesn't work in IE9 either but possibly for other reasons) then that will be what is causing the problem.  If you turn off tracking protection, it works.  I use IE10 with tracking protection enabled.  I've even upgraded to IE11 but get the same problem. :-X 

I suspect if Firefox is used with a similar add-on the same issue will occur, although I only use Firefox without any add-ons as a backup to IE and can access message centre.

There has been a discussion about it on one of ancestry's message boards with, as usual, some less than helpful comments about upgrading the browser and stop complaining.  However, as the problem remains in IE11, that is somewhat irrelevant.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you smudwhisk, I do use Firefox. My husband does all the technical stuff so I will check.
Regards, rayard.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I think the problem is with the pop-up message that announces the new message centre. :-\  Unfortunately it doesn't recognise the fact you've seen it and appears each time.  However, if I re-enable tracking protection in IE while in message centre, I can move between inbox and sent items without an issue.  When I move to another part of the site and try to access message centre again, I get the problem.  I know tracking protection has an issue with their configuration for me, it could be a similar plug-in in firefox for you but your OH may need to dig about a bit.  I have flagged this to ancestry, but whether they will do anything is another matter. :-X  They don't appear to be getting quite as many complaints as for other issues, but then not everyone gets regularly messages on the site.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 February 15 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting the annoying message too. I ignored it for a few days - and then I decided to google it.
Seems to be an old problem for "Ancestry" people were getting this message in 2013.

Sarra

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 February 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Shhhhh !  My warning banner's gone. ;D

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 February 15 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I've had this for months now and have aske Ancestry for assistance. They told me it was a problem with my browser and I should delete all my cookies (which was a pain). This did not solve the problem and I get the same message on all the various pcs' tablets etc I use.

If you've got it, you're probably stuck with it...
Cornwall:Tremelling,Tyzzer,Furse,Whitford,Bedick,Hawke,Retalick;Derbys:Sparam;Dorset:Ford,Farr,Adams,Crew,Lim,Mullens;IoW:Williams;Norfolk:Burrell,Chester,Hagon,Powles,Jennis,Daines,Gedge,Hood,Pooley,Spalding,Spurrell,Ebbage,Minister,Rushmer;Norfolk/Suffolk:Clarke;Hunts/Cambs:Canwell,Simons,trewen,Childs;Derbys/Burton:Dawson,Thornewill,Dent,Street,Bagnall,Parker,Brearley,Brunt,Dicken,Astle,Boffey/Beaufoy,Grundy,Hardwick,Heap,Ratclife;Suffolk:Phillips,Chilver,Alderton,Blumfield,Pain,Rolfe,Shulver

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 February 15 13:26 GMT (UK) »

My  warning message  has  also disappeared, sometime between yesterday evening and 02.00 today.

I was using my PC at that time  because I couldn't sleep.

Here's hoping it doesn't re-appear.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Arrghh!  :o :o :o

It's back!!

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands