Author Topic: USA Telephone directories, 1941-1945?  (Read 2137 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
USA Telephone directories, 1941-1945?
« on: Monday 23 February 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where I might find and on-line version of old Los Angeles phone books,1941-1945 in particular, or is it something that might be found in a library or elsewhere?
Thanks,
Brian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: USA Telephone directories, 1941-1945?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ancestry has the USA directories  :)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi...sorry to be a pest but I've looked at Ancestry and I don't see those years...at least not for Los Angeles, CA. Maybe I am not seeing it...but I can find 1945. Does someone have a link?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

City Directories do not contain telephone numbers. Directories typically contain entries for working family members and include name, occupation, and home and business addresses.  Street directories, lists of advertisements (which may include your ancestor’s business), lists of government officials, charitable organizations, churches, cemeteries, hotels, maps, and much more.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 20:07 GMT (UK) »
U.S. Telephone Directories on Microfilm

A major project is underway to microfilm the Library of Congress's collection of telephone directories from the pre-Phonefiche period (before 1976). At present, directories for Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and the city of Chicago can be requested in the Microform Reading Room (LJ 139B). A guide to the holdings for each locality is kept at the Reference Desks in the Local History and Genealogy Reading Room and the Main Reading Room.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/genealogy/bib_guid/telephonnoncurr.html#ustm

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
The 1942 Los Angeles city directory can be seen here:  http://rescarta.lapl.org/ResCarta-Web/jsp/RcWebBrowse.jsp

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm less interested in phone numbers, than establishing addresses for that period between 1941 and 1945. I just thought maybe a phone book or directory may help towards that but it seems that maybe during the war, there may not have been too many printed and not for all areas. Greater Los Angeles may also have been divided up into smaller areas and not listed all in one book although I am looking for Hollywood and downtown LA. Thanks for the help

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 04:34 GMT (UK) »
I believe that 1942 was the last city directory published for Los Angeles City.  I'm not sure which directories, if any, include Hollywood.  After that you would have to check phone directories.  I'm not aware of any online sources, but the Los Angeles Central Library has extensive genealogical and historical records for that area, which may include phone directories. Here is additional info:
http://www.lapl.org/branches/central-library

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Los Angeles Library link...I will call them and see if I can get a look-up. I wish I had thought of going the last time I was there. Next time I will for sure! Thanks to everyone.