Author Topic: Alston Cemetery Information please  (Read 3259 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alston Cemetery Information please
« on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello there

I was in the Society of Genealogists library recently and checked again on the Alston MIs they have. 

My ancestor Joseph Armstrong and his wife appear to have  headstone which I failed to find in the churchyard around St Augustine's last October. 

I now realise that the MIs are in two sections and Joseph is in the second one which seems to cover burials after about 1825.

Could someone who has local knowledge please let me know if there is a second cemetery in Alston, and if so, where, as I'm heading up North again at the end of March and if there is a chance of finding the headstone I'll drive up to Alston again.

Many thanks

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Alston Cemetery Information please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there is a second cemetery in Alston. As you enter the town from the south and cross the Tyne Bridge, take the first road on the right (The Firs) and take the first right again. This leads to the civil cemetery run by Eden District Council.

Garrigill and Nenthead also have civil cemeteries as well as the ones at the churches.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alston Cemetery Information please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 February 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashley

Not sure if you know that Cumbria Family History Society have published Alston MIs. £7.50.

Here's the link:

http://cumbriafhs.com/cgi-bin/cumbria/main.pl?action=pub_list

Jean
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alston Cemetery Information please - Completed
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 February 15 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clearly

Many thanks for your help - I'll certainly drive up and take another look now that I know where it is.

And thank you for the link to the MIs as well - looks like a good investment.

All the best

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk