Author Topic: Francis Joseph : Searching for his baptism  (Read 994 times)

Offline Ravelin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Francis Joseph : Searching for his baptism
« on: Wednesday 25 February 15 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am searching for the baptism of my 4x G Grandfather Francis Joseph born c1771.

He married Sarah Hipwood by licence in 1814 at St Mary, Newington, Surrey. The marriage & licence both say they were of this parish.

The 1841 census they are living in Kennington, Lambeth. Francis was age 70 and not born in the county. Francis died in Lambeth in 1844.

On one of their son's marriage certificates of 1848 Francis was stated to have been a Mariner.

Sarah Hipwood was born in Bath, Somerset. I believe that she may of been born in Walcott, Bath because there was a Hipwood family living there at the time of her birth. I have found that a Francis Joseph was a witness to a marriage in Walcott, Bath in 1823 between Richard Joseph & Susan Johnson.  Agnes Joseph was an additional witness.

Ravelin

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Joseph : Searching for his baptism
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The marriage & licence both say they were of this parish.

That only means at the time the marriage took place.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Ravelin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes i agree patrish.

They did not have to be living in the Parish because they were married by licence as well.

Offline Ravelin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
I have seen Francis Joseph and his wife Sarah's Trinity House Petition for pension documents for Merchant Seaman and their wives.

Francis Petition of 1820 states his age as 51. Making his birth year as 1769.

On Sarah's one it states that Francis went to sea at the age of 20 years in a Vessel out of the port of Barbadoes.

Does this indicate that Francis was possibly born in Barbadoes or that area ?