Author Topic: Who have you given up on :)  (Read 49937 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Who have you given up on :)
« Reply #198 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:57 BST (UK) »
Perhaps your grandmother considered her nationality as Irish, rather than her place of origin.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Sunday 10 April 16 09:44 BST (UK) »
Well you just never know when records you didn't know about or maybe they are only recently online become available.  I posted on here last night about Manx records as this lot kind of simmer on my backburner as not much is online except Family Search records and with common names it's almost impossible without occupations, etc.  HOWEVER last night on this very Rootschat forum Blue gave me a link to images on Family Search and I was able to bring the pans to the front burners  ;D ;D ;D  Go the Kellys!!

Never say Never!!!
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Sunday 10 April 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
I lost an ancestor after the death of her husband.I had tried searching for her children and herself, but to no avail.Some time later I was just browsing and googled her late husband,who was a composer,I found a site with details of music he had composed but also information about his wife.She had remarried after his death and I now had her 2nd husbands name to follow up on.Don`t give up entirely you never know when you may stumble across that missing link.Keep the faith.

I found the same thing with an ancestor who died in WW1. Looking on www.cwgc.org, his wife was named as Mrs E xxx formerly xxx, which led me to her second marriage. Army pension records, if they have survived, might give a clue too.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
In Yorkshire a few years back, I took some photo's of some gravestone epitaphs in a paved patio area in a University churchyard, on one gravestone, right at the bottom of the MI told of the deceased mans wife who was buried in Epping Forest area of London with her sister. Anyway I contacted tree owners with the said deceased man in their tree, and the owners of the trees had tried for years to find his ancestor wife in Yorkshire. Though some tree owners knew about a woman with the same age, name and death year in the GRO for the London entry ! none of them had envisaged ( or bought the death certificate to find out more info thinking it was a high chance the wrong womans death) it was the same death !! as the married woman missing from Yorkshire. Some gravestones can tell many a story.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Monday 11 April 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Often it seems that the best way for a widowed woman, especially with young children, was to re-marry as soon as possible. Sounds hard and cynical - but if the alternative was the "workhouse"??
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Lollapolooza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Friday 29 May 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I may have arrived too late to chat with you, as I notice, your chat's are all years earlier.

I am a descendant of Ann Kelly - James Kelly - Arthur Montague Jones - Joyce Valetta Jones - my Grandmother.

Cheers L

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lollapolooza ,

Welcome to  the website:

This is an old post thread, as you say that was just a thread as chit chat about common links in ancestry by members.

Your posting is more personal to your own ancestry by sound of limited info you give.

Your best chance is to start a new thread on the beginners forum giving more information how the ancestor names you give are linked to you or your family tree. Give as much detail you know about them (ancestors), like date died, age at death & where, where born & parents names including mothers maiden name if known ?, type of trade or job they did, name of spouse and maiden name etc.

Best read a few threads on the beginners board to get an idea how its done.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth