Author Topic: Gavin Black/ Mary Wotherspoon/ Jean Waddell  (Read 8672 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gavin Black/ Mary Wotherspoon/ Jean Waddell
« on: Monday 02 March 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Gavin Black, born 1704, Rawyards, New Monkland, was the son of John Black/ Jannet Black. It appears that he married twice. The first marriage was to Mary Wotherspoon, 1727. The OPR record states that John Waddell, Ryding, was a witness. This first marriage produced at least 10 children, the last one born 1749. He then apparently marrried again, to Jean Waddell. There are a number of researchers who claim that this marriage took place in 1756, but the only OPR record I could find stated 1752, and the spouse was not noted. This marriage apparently produced 9 children from 1755 to 1798, at Rawyards. Can anyone confirm that Gavin married twice. I have a couple of possiblities for the parents of Jean Waddell, but am not sure of any of them. Thanks. Jim Main
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Black/ Mary Wotherspoon/ Jean Waddell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 March 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Gavin Black, born 1704, Rawyards, New Monkland, was the son of John Black/ Jannet Black. It appears that he married twice. The first marriage was to Mary Wotherspoon, 1727. The OPR record states that John Waddell, Ryding, was a witness. This first marriage produced at least 10 children, the last one born 1749. He then apparently marrried again, to Jean Waddell. There are a number of researchers who claim that this marriage took place in 1756, but the only OPR record I could find stated 1752, and the spouse was not noted. This marriage apparently produced 9 children from 1755 to 1798, at Rawyards. Can anyone confirm that Gavin married twice. I have a couple of possiblities for the parents of Jean Waddell, but am not sure of any of them. Thanks. Jim Main

Scotland's People lists 9 children to Gavin Black Sr of Rawyards and Mary Wotherspoon: Jean 1729; John 1731; Gavin 1732; Helen 1735; James 1737; Isabel 1740; Alexander 1742; Mary 1746; Jean 1749. 

This Gavin Black Sr did remarry, but his second wife was Janet, not Jean, Waddell, and the marriage is in the New Monkland parish register in October 1752, though the entry omits any mention of the bride's name. Gavin B Sr and Janet W had 9 children: unnamed 1753; Elizabeth 1757; Mary and Helen 1759; William 1764 (my 3rd great-grandfather); John 1765; Robert 1766; Robert 1768.

His son Gavin Jr of Rawyards or Thralyeards b 1732 married Jean Waddell in November 1756 and the marriage is recorded in the New Monkland parish register: "1756, November, collected 2nd Sabbath; Gavin Black and Jean Waddell proclaimed 2/6". Jean was the daughter of John Waddell and Helen Wotherspoon, born 1738 at Ryden. Gavin Jr and Jean had eight chldren: Helen 1759; Gavin and Janet 1761; Mary 1762; John 1765; Gavin 1769; Alexander 1775; Jean 1778.

For all this information I am indebted to Gavin Waddell, who has more information about Waddells in general and the the New Monkland Waddells and their connections in particular than anyone else on the planet.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Disposition by Gavin Black of Ralyeards in favour of Gavin Black his eldest son dated 13th November 1756
Subject Half the mailling and lands of Rawyards.
Obligations
(3) to allow Janet Waddell his mother should she survive his father the possession of half an acre of croft land in any part of the lands she chooses....
Source:TITLES and WRITS relative to RAWYARDS and the proprietors thereof prior to its being amalgamated with Wansmailing 
Repository:  Airdrie Library
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 March 15 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Disposition by Gavin Black of Ralyeards in favour of Gavin Black his eldest son dated 13th
(3) to allow Janet Waddell his mother should she survive his father the possession of half an acre of croft land in any part of the lands she chooses....

Interesting, because Janet was not the mother, but the stepmother, of Gavin Black Jr of Rawyards.

Alys, do you have have a complete transcription of the disposition?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 March 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I have copies of various documents to do with the several Gavin Blacks at Rawyards. I'll send them to you in the morning.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
And I would be interested in what you have on Gavin Black/Agnes Watt.

Thanks Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Alys, DonM: my information about Gavin Black and Agnes Watt is winging its way to you as I type.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Very helpful to me; again thanks for everyone's input.
One question about Agnes Watt.
John Watt of Easter Glentore married Elizabeth Waddell 1730, Shotts.
I know they had a daughter Jean, 1745, Easter Glentore, but don't have any other information on this family. Elizabeth Waddell was the daughter of William Waddell 1st of Easter Moffat and Christian Maine. My Mains were at Easter Glentore, but I don't know if Christian was related. I know her father was Henry, but have not come up with anything else.
Was Agnes Watt the grandaughter of John Watt of Easter Glentore?
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Was Agnes Watt the grandaughter of John Watt of Easter Glentore?

I do not know, but I have a note describing her as 'Of Drumgray'. There are some sasines referring to various John and Thomas Watts of Easter Glentore, but none referring to William Watt of either Glentore or Drumgray in the indexes. However these only go to 1780, and Agnes was born in 1781, so there could be later sasines mentioning her father that just might also refer to his father.

There are no wills of any Watt of Glentore or of Drumgray on SP.