Author Topic: Did all the Waddells emigrate to New Zealand?  (Read 24810 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Did all the Waddells emigrate to New Zealand?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 April 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
As an aside,John Waddell sen.died 1851-1854 and I note his son John(if he is) did not produce any children in those years but did afterwards!

Thank you for this information.

Yes, I also noticed the gap in the records of children of John W and Rachel Mackay. There were Rachel in 1848/9 and then Matthew in 1850 (both baptisms missing from the Church of Scotland registers), then a gap until 1856. However I cannot rule out the possibility that there were a couple more - say in 1852 and 1854 - also missing from the C of S registers, who died before the 1861 census.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 02 April 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
Here is the passenger list for the Silistria

Great, thank you.

However this raises another question. The passenger manifest lists William Gray, Mrs Gray, and Child Gray. It does not show this child as being born at sea, though it does mark some others on the ship as born at sea. Therefore the child must have been born before 4 October 1861, when the Silistria set sail from Glasgow. This was only four days after the marriage of William Lockhart Gray and Janet Waddell on 30 September 1861. It is almost inconceivable that Janet would embark for New Zealand less than a week after bearing a child, so the child, whoever (s)he was, must have been born before the marriage of William and Janet. Yet there is no apparent candidate in the IGI. So who was this child, and where was (s)he born?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 02 April 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
I cant  find the name or date of the ship William sailed on but there is an article in The Otago Times(Papers Past) (21/August1880)which you may find interesting and gives the year he moved to New Zealand and what he got up to.

Thank you - small amount of difficulty tracking it down as I didn't realise it was then called the Otago Witness! But it makes very interesting reading.