Author Topic: parish register ordering - advice required  (Read 3706 times)

Offline saxonie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
parish register ordering - advice required
« on: Monday 19 July 04 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,  :)

I am new to researching in Lincolnshire and would appreciate some guidance on how to order microfilm copies of parish registers.  At the moment I am interested in the parish of Bourne for christenings.

Sorry it's a basic question but help would be appreciated.

Thanking you.

Saxonie

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: parish register ordering - advice required
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 04 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Saxonie,

Welcome to research in Lincolnshire!

Do you mean photocopies of parish register entries or were you wanting copies of the microfilm/fiche itself?

Bourne library has a local/family history section and I would imagine has copies of the parish registers and census returns for the local area and would be able to supply photocopies of entries.  Their link is http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/libraryDetails.asp?library=SA2

Alternatively the Archives office in Lincoln holds records for the whole county.  They would also be able to supply photocopies of entries and I believe can also supply microfiche copies of the parish registers (though I would imagine this is quite expensive).  They are at http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section.asp?docId=27403&catId=2053

If you're going to use the Archives office check this thread out (http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6625.0) which thoroughly recommends their postal service.  I've used them myself (visited in person) and they are really helpful.

Sasha.  :)

Offline saxonie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 04 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sasha,

Thanks very much for the pointers with regard to ordering copies of parish register entries.  I will follow along the lines you have recommended and was especially interested to see that the Bourne library might be able to help too.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Saxonie :D

Offline Carolann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 04 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you join the Lincolnshire Family History Society, they do a very good parish register microfiche library service, where you can borrow various microfiches for parishes for one month and check them out at home or in your local library.  When you join, you can ask for a list of current parishes coverered, and cost of the loan is fairly cheap, about £3 for a month for up to three fiche.  I've used this a lot in the past and found it an excellent service.

Carol
Hull, East Yorkshire
GREEN, HOBSON, WILLOUGHBY, FARROW - Hull East Yorks
SAYERS, DOBNEY, GRANT, CROFT, HARE - Lincs
SINGLETON, FOGG, BROCKLEBANK - Lancashire
SINGLETON - Cumberland
PAGAN, GRAY, CALDWELL, NAISMITH - Scotland
CHEESMAN, WHITE, WATTS, GAINS, - Hampshire/Surrey
NASH, BULLMAN, PATE, LOFTUS/LOFFEST - London
HOSTY - Ireland to Chicago to Durham

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 04 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
I am also researching the name of Hare. Where do yours come from?
Sue
Researching Dixon Dawson Wood Wilkinson Wackett from Lincolnshire (Caistor area) Ringrose Higgs Riddington Lord Burley from Leicester (Countesthorpe) Holmes Abbott Ringrose Motson from Beverley and Hull Leics. Fawcett Fenwick Hare Mareham Le Fen Revesby Horncastle Lincolnshire.