Author Topic: Oxfordshire Records Online?  (Read 21504 times)

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Oxfordshire Records Online?
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 08 October 16 10:10 BST (UK) »

There appear to be issues with indexing of Eynsham, particularly pre 1812.  I was looking for a baptism from 1809 that I know is in the parish for a relative and had to browse the register to find it.  However, the only save options are to save a web link to a tree or to download a copy.  So they are on there, just you have to browse the registers the old fashioned way for now. :-\
[/quote]

Having found the entry, did you find it then in the index by clicking on the two green people?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 08 October 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
Having found the entry, did you find it then in the index by clicking on the two green people?

That wasn't available, it was effectively "greyed out" as you couldn't click on it, suggesting they haven't been indexed.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 08 October 16 12:58 BST (UK) »

That wasn't available, it was effectively "greyed out" as you couldn't click on it, suggesting they haven't been indexed.

If you give me the image number, OFHS can raise it with Ancestry.

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 08 October 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to find any records for Caversham - is this because the registers are at BRO ?

So far, I've not managed any successful searches for baptisms at Hook Norton.

There seems to be a problem with the way that Ancestry have indexed Watlington - it doesn't appear in the drop down box as you type in the name until you start to enter Oxfordshire and then it appears as Watlington, Oxford, Oxfordshire.   If you search the records, they are shown as Watlington, Oxfordshire - it suggests that Ancestry need to do a little tweak to their dataset search.

The other parishes I've searched seem to be OK and the scans are first class - quite a lot of mis-transcriptions though  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 08 October 16 16:18 BST (UK) »

There seems to be a problem with the way that Ancestry have indexed Watlington - it doesn't appear in the drop down box as you type in the name until you start to enter Oxfordshire and then it appears as Watlington, Oxford, Oxfordshire.   If you search the records, they are shown as Watlington, Oxfordshire - it suggests that Ancestry need to do a little tweak to their dataset search.

And Hardwick is down as Harwick cum Tusmore - I'm entering "Harwick" in the Keywords box to search it!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 08 October 16 17:23 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to find any records for Caversham - is this because the registers are at BRO ?

yes - you'll need to use the OFHS transcripts, but sadly there are no scans in these datasets.

So far, I've not managed any successful searches for baptisms at Hook Norton.

There are the following registers or part registers in the datasets.

The 1538-1812 dataset has:

1550 - 1753
    1729 - 1787
    1754 - 1812
    1788 - 1812

The baptisms, 1813-1915, dataset has:

1813 - 1854
    1855 - 1911

The marriages and Banns, 1754-1930, dataset has:

Year Range

1754 - 1813
    1813 - 1837
    1823 - 1855
    1837 - 1917
    1856 - 1892
    1892 - 1930

The burials, 1813-1965, dataset has:

1813 - 1867 

Yes, I see what you mean - I'll include it in the OFHS comments list.

The other parishes I've searched seem to be OK and the scans are first class -

Thank you from OFHS

Wendy

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 08 October 16 18:49 BST (UK) »

The one I was looking for was Image 52 of 1776-1812, but the whole dataset appear to have the button greyed out as checked a few random pages.

If you give me the image number, OFHS can raise it with Ancestry.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 09 October 16 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

The images I've seen so far on Ancestry have been ist class. Well done  to the OFHS.

However, I do have a problem  in that if I select  eg;  Bampton and choose page one(1), I get the front cover of the register and am then unable to select the right arrow to see page 2, 3 or whatever. I've noticed this on several occaisions with different parishes.

Another item I feel you may like to take up with Ancestry is when checking for Checkendon the marriage register 1756 - 1812 appears to open OK but is headed "1900 United States Federal Census" a screenshot is attached for convenience.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
The new Oxon Ancestry records have several garbled versions of surnames and I have to browse some to get the record I want once I check the parish is on there. Also it seems at the moment you cannot search parents for the baptisms post 1813 yet the "Add family member" feature was there the other day and I could easily search parents a few days ago.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain