Author Topic: Oxfordshire Records Online?  (Read 21511 times)

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Oxfordshire Records Online?
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 13 October 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan -
Hi Wendy,

The images I've seen so far on Ancestry have been ist class. Well done  to the OFHS.

Thank you :-)

Another item I feel you may like to take up with Ancestry is when checking for Checkendon the marriage register 1756 - 1812 appears to open OK but is headed "1900 United States Federal Census" a screenshot is attached for convenience.

Alan

I can't replicate that.  Can you now?

Wendy

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 13 October 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan -

Hi Wendy,

However, I do have a problem  in that if I select  eg;  Bampton and choose page one(1), I get the front cover of the register and am then unable to select the right arrow to see page 2, 3 or whatever. I've noticed this on several occaisions with different parishes.

Nor can I replicate this.  Can you give me a specific register where this happens, please?

Thanks!

Wendy

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 14 October 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

Yes I can - but I believe the trick is to ensure a year is placed in the "box" before doing a search.

By entering a year,  it took me to the appropriate year page and I can then select the person and the register will then open.

My example was; Checkendon registers.
I went to this address;
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61056

on the right side I selected "Browse this collection"> selected parish of Checkendon> then eg; 1802-1812
and got the front cover showing in  a red badge Baptisms & Burials.

From that point I could not go further. If I selected the little right arrow nothing happens nor if I  enter a new page in the button at the bottom of the screen. The show/hide film strip works but you cannot get the chosen page to open.

With regard to the Checkendon register showing the "1900 US Federal Census"  over the marriage pages (as per my screenshot)  - they must have rectified it as all now shows correctly.

Thanks for all your help.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 14 October 16 08:01 BST (UK) »

Another item I feel you may like to take up with Ancestry is when checking for Checkendon the marriage register 1756 - 1812 appears to open OK but is headed "1900 United States Federal Census" a screenshot is attached for convenience.

Alan

I can't replicate that.  Can you now?

Wendy

That has intermittently occurred on Ancestry for some years with all sorts of records.  Usually doesn't last long and its only the header on the webpage that is incorrect.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 14 October 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Alan -

Hi Wendy,

My example was; Checkendon registers.
I went to this address;
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61056

on the right side I selected "Browse this collection"> selected parish of Checkendon> then eg; 1802-1812
and got the front cover showing in  a red badge Baptisms & Burials.

From that point I could not go further. If I selected the little right arrow nothing happens

It's been suggested to me that it's very probably an issue between Ancestry and your browser.  OFHS reccomends you report this to Ancestry with full details, including your browser.  Permutations you could try first would be another browser, and/or another computer.  Interesting to know if it happens with other counties?

Various of the beta-testing team had a look, and couldn't replicate the problem.

Wendy

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 14 October 16 12:56 BST (UK) »

And Hardwick is down as Harwick cum Tusmore - I'm entering "Harwick" in the Keywords box to search it!

Well, sadly one that seems to be an OFHS error - we don't know how!

We've put it on the report list - thanks for flagging it up!

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 14 October 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

Well,  I'm using an iMac (late 2015) and I've just tried getting the images using these browsers;
Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Operea Developer - all were the same and wouldn't go forward.

Using Opera (Version 40.0.2308) and I'm now able to go forward/backwards  and read the pages. All good now so I must remember to use this browser in future.

I haven't tried other counties recently although I believe Gloucestershire have some original registers to view and from memory they all work well using Safari.

Thanks for your help.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 14 October 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
I believe Ancestry are aware of known issues with using Safari with the website.  My Aunt has a Mac and was advised last year by Ancestry to use Chrome rather than Safari because it wasn't a recommended browser. :-\  From what I've heard it works intermittently.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 15 October 16 05:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Wendy,

I have found that some pages of burials are missing from the Wroxton image set for 1548 - 1812.

Burials start with October 1548 on the right-hand side page of Image 78 and run to January 1565 on that page.

Image 79 begins with 1600 on the right-hand side page.  It's clear from the soak-through on the left page of Image 79 that records from 1592 to 1599 and 1600 are on the previous right-hand side page.

Examples of records from the missing years (taken from the Banbury-002 CD transcripts) are Henry COLEMAN (buried October 28 1580) and Isabell COLEMAN (buried May 5 1582).

Thank you for your help.