Author Topic: Oxfordshire Records Online?  (Read 21497 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Oxfordshire Records Online?
« Reply #54 on: Monday 03 October 16 22:45 BST (UK) »
My Oxon Marriage Index is now in my PC as we speak. I am also finding marriages that I cannot find on the Ancestry records. I may have found the baptism of an ancestor and am doing a mini tree. I found 2 marriages on the CD that were mis-transcribed in the Anc records.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 03 October 16 23:11 BST (UK) »
I found 2 marriages on the CD that were mis-transcribed in the Anc records.

Only two?  ;D ;D

I must say, I'm rather glad our tree was done the old-fashioned way, sitting in the record office / Bodley. All I'm doing is adding the records to my Ancestry tree and checking detail.

I'm just glad I'm not trying to trace travellers!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 03 October 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
I'm just glad I'm not trying to trace travellers!

Like me, just broken a brickwall and confirmed a hunch, not directly related to the PRs being launched on Ancestry but I'm now looking for a marriage in the late 1680s which could either be in North Berkshire (which obviously aren't included although now part of Oxon) or south Oxfordshire.  Nothing appearing on Ancestry and nothing on my v1 of the Berkshire FHS marriage index, so its anybody's guess where it is (I do have a number of OFHS west north Berkshire transcripts but not so many over towards the north eastern part of the county).  The couple's daughter's marriage is also a problem but I have managed to confirm her maiden name by the fact the parish clerk kindly included it on her son's burial entry (even though he was a married adult) and her parent's names courtesy of a chance view of a Oxfordshire Admon on FindMyPast today. ;D  Now if I could just find the marriage and confirm the wife's maiden name (already believe I know the husband's parents based on previous hunch and other Wills) then I can hopefully research some more. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi smudwhisk,

(along with submitting numerous corrections)

I've just looked on Anc...y and found one of my ancestors but it was a struggle as the surname has been mistranscribed. It is shown as "Found" whereas it should be "Pound".

Looking at the original it could easily be taken as a "F" but on closer  viewing it is  a "P".

I looked but couldn't see where to lodge a correction. Can you guide me, please?

PS. have sent a PM to you.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 09:24 BST (UK) »
I am very happy to see the Oxfordshire parish records on line at Ancestry, but I too am a bit surprised at the standard of some of the transcriptions. I have already had to provide dozens of "alternatives" (Ancestry don't do corrections, if it's transcribed incorrectly it will stay that way for ever), and I'm sure it will be up to hundreds in the next couple of weeks at this rate. I wouldn't have expected that the old fashioned double ss would be transcribed as ts but has in many cases eg Williss as Willits. At least a whole page of births in Cropredy have been given an incorrect year, even when each entry has the full date, year included. Others just have the year missing for what appears no reason.
As has been mentioned, surnames missing from 'son of', 'wife of' etc. can make identification time consuming.(Warwickshire records are the same). I might be being helpful for others when I add an alternative, but I'm also transcribing free for Ancestry :)

You certainly have to be creative in your surname search criteria. As an example if you were looking for a baptism for Bernhard Griffiths in 1900 he has been transcribed as Bernhard Willitts  ???

I am, however, happy looking through the registers page by page, far more satisfying than an index, but somewhat time consuming and can be a bit of a strain on the eyes.

Simon

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 16:21 BST (UK) »
Found some entries in Witney St Mary where the Ancestry transcriber has entered the first and surname in the first name box and left the surname box blank thus causing the entries not to appear in the search results under a normal search criteria. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Maureen Bell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
I have been looking and adding some of Hubby's family from Great Milton Oxfordshire. Just wished they learnt to spell back in the old days,then I would find the records easier lol His family are Auger's and sometimes they spell the name as Augur.
Allum... Hertfordshire/Hornchurch Esse
Mccormick
Norwood..Hertfordshire
Capell..Hertfordshire/Buckinghamshire
Bell..Houghton Le Spring/Hexham Northumberland
Dawson ..Houghton Le Spring/Chester Le Street
Joiner/Joyner Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire
Wilson/Wardle Houghton Le Spring
Bassetts Cornwall/Houghton Le Spring
Spark Leadgate /Durham
Grunwel Robinson  Otley Leathley York
Bradford    Lambeth London
Johnson  Houghton Le Spring
Johnson  Bradford/York
Swinburn /Sisterson Northumberland

Offline allisont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 18:04 BST (UK) »
I looked but couldn't see where to lodge a correction. Can you guide me, please?
At the bottom of the image, click the people thingy to the right of the page number and the transcribed data comes up at the bottom. Double click the part you want to correct, add the correction and a reason and save. If there are other people that might need correcting as well a box comes up giving you the option to correct those as well. Hope that's understandable!
Please note: All Census look ups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bucks - Blackman, Elstone, Poole, Rodwell, Bates, Redhead, Lane
Berks - Clark, Redhead
Glos - Kitchener, Higgins
Oxon/London - Burchill, Holiday
Yorks - Crowcroft, Lazenby, Mudd, Jackson, Kiteley

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 18:24 BST (UK) »
I have just started collecting the records for my Oxfordshire families.

It is wonderful to see the originals - in such beautiful scans - after years with the transcripts.

I would like to say a huge thank you to Wendy and everyone at the OFHS who contributed to this project.

Thank you so much!  I'll pass your comments back to OFHS.

It's so exciting to have looked at the Iffley registers in the vicar's kitchen, soup bubbling away not far away, half a century ago, and then to have seen them at the Bodleian, then at the Records Office, then at Oxfordshire History Centre, where they now are, and now for them to be available worldwide!

Wendy