Author Topic: John Vaus, born c1820, England - Living in Toronto in 1861  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John Vaus, born c1820, England - Living in Toronto in 1861
« on: Saturday 07 March 15 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

Last March, I posted the following in the English forum and unfortunately we were not able to find further information about Mr. Vaus.  However, since I found the person living in Canada, I thought I would see if anyone in the Canadian forum might be able to offer suggestions or assistance, please?

"John Vaus born c1820 England, Widowed, was living in Toronto, Canada in 1861.
He was a servant in the household of Barter Swaffield, Butcher.
According to the 1861 Toronto Directory, Mr. Swaffield's address was 257 Yonge Street, Toronto.

My ancestors, James Mumford (Butcher, born 1826) and his wife Susannah Vaus Mumford (born 1829), were also living in Toronto in 1861 (arriving c1857).
Living with the Mumfords was Susannah's sister, Emily Vaus, born 1827.
According to the 1861 Toronto City Directory, the Mumfords' address was 261 Yonge Street, Toronto.
Susannah and her sister were baptised in Albury, Surrey, England.  Older siblings were baptised in Chilworth, Surrey and Shipley, Sussex.  Susannah's siblings were born between 1818 and 1837.  We are fairly certain that Susannah did not have a brother named John.

I am hoping to find John Vaus on an earlier census to determine if he was related to the Vaus sisters. Vaus is/was not a common name, so my feeling is they were related somehow.  I have extensive information about my Vaus ancestors (including two current posts on RootsChat about the Vaus'), but I don't know anything about John Vaus.

Various spellings for Vaus were: Vans, Vause, Vous, Vawse, Voice.  :-\   I used various spellings, and showed his year of birth as  born 1820 +/- 10 years.  I cannot find Mr. Vaus in England.  Any suggestions/help very much appreciated.  Thank you for reading this long post.  Kind regards, Lisa"

I also cannot find Mr. Vaus in Canada other than in the 1861 census.  Thank you, Lisa   :)
Previous post:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=680866.msg5254082#msg5254082
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Vaus, born c1820, England - Living in Toronto in 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
A possibility? Private John Vaus, 1371 Royal Canadian Rifles, discharged  in 1852.

Born Crick, Northamptonshire, a cordwainer by trade. Attested for 52nd Foot at Leicester in September 1830 aged 18, so born around 1812 (but may have overstated his age). 

The discharge papers suggest that, his discharge having been approved at Niagara, he returned to England and was discharged at Chatham. But the Canada connection is there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 15 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ:

Thank you for finding the papers.  He certainly could be a possibility.

My Vaus' were in Sussex and Surrey from c1740's (possibly late 1600s) until Susannah left in 1857, so if this man was the one in Toronto in 1861 he most likely was not related to my family.

The papers were quite interesting to read!  Thank you for your help. 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
... the follow-up to Shaun's find ...

The Northants Baptisms Index shows ...

John Vaus s/o John & Anne 1808 Sep 11 at Crick C of E
John Vaus s/o Edward & Elizabeth 1816 Dec 22 at Crick C of E

... Vaus/Vaux a popular name in Crick.

Bryan

ADDED ...
Sorry, just found the burial for the latter of the two above entries ...
John Vaus buried 1818 May 13 aged 1yr.

Another bpt, maybe worth considering ...

John Vaus/Crowder s/o George Crowder miner & Esther Vaus 1813 Aug 22 at Crick C of E, however Esther Vaus married William Shepherd 1813 Oct 18 at Crick, so the child may have taken the name Crowder or Shepherd.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 15 19:14 GMT (UK) »
this is possibly the John Vaus - private in the army

Midsomer Norton Somerset
John Vaus Head M 48 Chelsea Pensioner & Boot maker Crick heath Northampton
Ann R wife 39 Midsommer Norton Somerset
Albert C son Midsomer Norton
RG9 1680 65 3

which rules out him being in Canada 1861???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 March 15 19:18 GMT (UK) »
there is also a marriage of (I am assuming) a different John

Marriage4 Oct 1842
Wolvey
John Vaus of full age Bachelor occ Sawyer  address Wolvey father James Vaus occ Sawyer
Sarah Webster  of full age  stocking weaver of Wolvey father John Webster occ Stocking Weaver
witnesses George Vaus Ann Wright

EDIT just found them on later census

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 March 15 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan and Suz:

Thank you very much for your help.  The papers that ShaunJ found showed John Vaus was a cordwainer and on another page his occupation was shoemaker.  Looking at one of the pages now, his birth is listed as Crick? Northampton.  This looks like the fellow that Suz found in Somerset in 1861. 

My Vaus ancestors were farmers and at least one ancestor had cattle at one point.  One ancestor was a church warden and his children could sign their names.  I have a photocopy of an old document that lists the births, deaths and Vaus family names as well as it listing their relationships to each other.  There isn't a John Vaus on this list who was born c1820.

While Susannah did not (to our knowledge) have a brother nor uncle named John, she did have a Great Uncle John Vaus, born 1749.  There is a possibility that this man had a grandson named John.  I will follow up on this possibility.  I really appreciate everyone's help, even if to discount Vaus' as likely candidates.  Thank you so much, Lisa

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 March 15 03:49 GMT (UK) »
If you have not totally ruled out the soldier in Ontario.... Census of Canada was taken nearly 3 months prior to the one in the u.k... J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 15 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, I didn't think of that.  Thank you for pointing out the date differences, J.J.