Author Topic: Another Gloucester will  (Read 593 times)

Offline scuda-j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another Gloucester will
« on: Monday 09 March 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm still looking for clues to the John Pytman mentioned in Henry Pytttman's will  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ewm/. Looking at the will of Oliffe Dobles (or is it Dobbs?) from 1639, he's mentioned several times (starting about about twelve lines down on this page): http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ewl/. I think it's likely to be the same person, as Oliffe was Henry's daughter. I'm struggling to do much more than read the names on this one, so if you can pick out any clues to John's relationship to Oliffe, his occupation, etc, I should be very grateful.

Jane
PITMAN (Glos - Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Stow, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, etc)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another Gloucester will
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
This one is a test of the eyesight...

He gives the "...use possession & occupacon..." of something "...unto my Coson John Pitman & his Assignes Tohave and to hold the same p(re)misses...".

The property concerned is held by the testator for a term of forty years.

After his decease the residue of the that term goes "...unto the sayd John Pitman..." if he lives long enough and if John dies while part of the term is unexpired the residue goes to Henry ffletcher upon trust for the "use benefitt and behoofe of Henry ffletch(e)r Johan ffletcher and Mary ffletcher".

ADDED:  In this era the term Cousin was used in its wider sense.  It's possible for example that John could be a nephew of the testator.

Offline scuda-j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Another Gloucester will
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, horselydown, including the reminder about 'cousin'. I was aware of this broader use, but I would have forgotten about it in my attempt to make John a cousin as we would know it. I suppose at least I can take this as confirmation that John was not Oliffe's brother or uncle, so I need to look in the next generation (or two).

Jane
PITMAN (Glos - Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Stow, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, etc)