Author Topic: Michael Devine / DeVine  (Read 2952 times)

Offline TalesoftheLibrarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Devine / DeVine
« on: Monday 09 March 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right section of the forum to post this.. I'm looking for information about my Devine line in Ireland but the majority of information I have is based in the United States. I've been researching for years and have come up with very little and I'm desperate to find the connection for my Grandpa. Anything would be helpful- Any particular region Devines are common that could help narrow it down, databases, and whatnot?

Michael Devine 1765?-1830 Ireland-Pennsylvania Respectfully (G.G.G.G. Grandfather)
^married Mary Polly Stone 1773-1850 Pennsylvania
Hiram Devine 1809-1869 Buried in Pennsylvania, Born in the US (G.G.G. Grandfather)
^married Eliza Bump 1814-1882 Pennsylvania (Mary lived w/ them when she was 77)
John Oliver Devine 1847-1913 Pennsylvania (G.G. Grandfather)
^married Emma Elizabeth Spalding 1847-(died sometime between 1915-1933) Pennsylvania
Amanda Cecelia Devine 1885-1953 Pennsylvania-New York respectfully. (Great Grandmother)

I've confirmed the information as far as Hiram however that's where the information gets questionable. There are multiple sources with different dates for Michael. Its suggested by one, he was born in Ireland without specific details of where, came with his parents and settled in upstate New York around Albany when he was 16 months old. He then settled in Pennsylvania as an adult were the family stayed for generations. Other sources state he was born in Upstate New York and his father also named Michael was the one who was born in Ireland. Every listing has him at a different age and I don't know. The only thing I do know is Hiram's father was buried in Pennsylvania.

What I've been told growing up was my great Grandmother Amanda Devine was a direct descendant of the Druids. They were pale with freckles and dark hair, farmers and Methodist. That's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
TalesoftheLibrarian

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Devine / DeVine
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/

This link gives distribution of surnames in mid 1800s based on Griffiths Valuation.

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Offline TalesoftheLibrarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Going back earlier than your record to sense the background to the name, I peeped at
this extraordinary website http://www.billmacafee.com and selected just one of his sources
‘1660s Hearth Money Rolls
The Hearth Tax was introduced to Ireland in 1662. Arranged by county, parish and, usually, townland, the Hearth Money Rolls list the names of householders who were liable to pay tax at the rate of two shillings on every hearth or fireplace they had. Some people were exempt* from the tax and, of course, others managed to evade paying it. This means that the lists are not a complete record of householders in a townland. The tax was collected over areas known as "Walks" which were based on towns. For example, the "Dunluce Walk" in County Antrim was centred on the town of Dunluce which was just outside the castle. It covered the baronies of Cary, Dunluce and Kilconway in North Antrim as well as the baronies of Coleraine and North East Liberties in County Londonderry.’
Record No.   No. in Barony List   County   Barony   Parish   Townland (Modern Spelling)   Townland as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Forename as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname [Standardised]

2574   546   L'Derry   Tirkeeran   Cumber   Unidentified   Gortcarenn   James   o'Devin   Devine
2582   554   L'Derry   Tirkeeran   Cumber   Lackagh   Lockagh   Tirlo   o'Devin   Devine
3052   1024   L'Derry   Keenaght   Banagher   Tamnagh   Tamnallwara   Neal   o'Devin   Devine
4387   2359   L'Derry   Loughinsholin   Arboe   Drummullan   Drumglan   Cormick   Davine   Devine
4696   2668   L'Derry   Loughinsholin   Magherafelt   Ballymoghan   Ballymoghan   Manus   O'Devinn   Devine
5425   608   Tyrone   Dungannon Upper   Lissan   Broughderg   Brugh Derge   Neill   o'Devine   Devine
6199   288   Tyrone   Clogher   Donacavey   Lisnacree   Lisnacrive   Laughlan   o'Devin   Devine
6547   252   Tyrone   Omagh West   Termonamongan   Altamullan   Altemullan   Brian   o'Divany   Devine
6551   256   Tyrone   Omagh West   Termonamongan   Clagernagh   Clegernagh   Murghy   o'Divin   Devine
6656   361   Tyrone   Omagh East   Kilskeery   Moneygar   Monigarr   Edmond   o'Devin   Devine
6841   61   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Carrickatane   Carrickatane   Fergill   o'Divine   Devine
6842   62   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Carrickatane   Carrickatane   Neill   O'Devine   Devine
6862   82   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Bunowen   Bunnoyn   Fergill   O'Devine   Devine
6869   89   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Lisnaragh   Lisnerue   Tirlogh    O'Devine   Devine
6877   97   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Moneycanon   Monikenan   Neill   O'Devine   Devine
6880   100   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Altinaghree (?)   Alincery   Brian   O'Devine   Devine
6881   101   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Altinaghree (?)   Alincery   James   O'Devine   Devine
6882   102   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Altinaghree (?)   Alincery   Patrick   O'Devine   Devine
6884   104   Tyrone   Strabane Lower   Donaghedy   Tirconnelly   Tirconly   Patrick M'Teeg   O'Devine   Devine
7366   586   Tyrone   Strabane Upper   Bodoney   Clogherny   Cloghernagh   Rory   o'Devin   Devine
7384   604   Tyrone   Strabane Upper   Bodoney   Aghalane   Achiolame   Torlogh   o'Devine   Devine
7446   666   Tyrone   Strabane Upper   Bodoney   Drumlea   Drumlee   Patrick   o'Devine   Devine

The variant spellings recorded apart from O”Devin(e), include a O’Davine and an O’Divine, these set my memory banks going, and as you have had some connection to a library, the name Devine to me, brings back a memory of working in the LinenHall Library, Belfast in 1970,-1, when this tall 50 plus priest Father Devine started to talk to me  [ I had helped him several times on previous visits finding books].  He wanted me to know he was getting used to his new umbrella. he explained how he had been visiting some of his flock in Crumlin Road Prison, and when he came out he found himself semi surrounded by a baying crowd who threatened him, howling abuse, and shouting he’s one, get him etc, he ran across the Crumlin Road , the crowd following him, he turned and pointed his golf sized umbrella at them and flapped it open twice, the crowd stopped, and as they further hesitated,  he dropped the umbrella and ran up a side street eventually reaching sanctuary.  I was impressed then and remain struck with the bravery of this dedicated man, who continued. visiting his flock with his new umbrella, but wearing a scarf over his dog collar.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline kdw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 04:31 BST (UK) »
TalesoftheLibrarian, are you still out there?  Your Michael Devlin has some similarities to Michael Dowling Jr, son of Michael Dowling from Galway, Saratoga, NY. How can I reach you?

Offline kdw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 04:33 BST (UK) »
BTW, our Dowling line was originally Devlin according to DNA.  Michael Dowling Sr. came from Ireland.