Author Topic: 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment - Movements in March 1918, Help Needed?  (Read 5677 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment - Movements in March 1918, Help Needed?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan & Jim,

Please accept my apologies for my very tardy reply! This has been due to the fact that I have been offline due to not having an internet connection for the past 3 months! Thankfully all now sorted.

Alan, I am not aware of a connection to Castle Bromwich at this time, although it is as Jim says close by to Long Acre (5 Miles). Its a bit of a strange one to be honest (to me anyway!).

With regards to Andrew's date of death & place of death my further research shows:

On 18th March 1918 (his recorded date of death) his Battalion is in St-Martin-Au-Laert (Near St Omer) in North West France.

Pargny where he is buried is just North West of Bettencourt-Sur-Somme (A bit East of Amiens) in South East France. The Battalion were in the Amiens/Bethencourt (I'm assuming that Bethencourt & Bettencourt are one and the same!) between 23rd March 1918 & 31st March 1918.

Therefore it must be concluded that his date of death must be sometime between 23rd March 1918 & 31st March 1918, rather than the 18th March 1918 as recorded.

I would welcome/appreciate thoughts/input as to what my further research shows from all. Do you agree/disagree with my findings etc?

Jim, many thanks for your assistance/input, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment - Movements in March 1918, Help Needed?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't disagree with that. His date of death was presumed so just a guesstimate.
This was the start of the German Spring Offensive. This phase was called Operation Michael.
This was a very chaotic time for the army so it's easy to make mistakes.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 March 19 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I hadn't realised that it was at the start of the 'German Spring Offensive', so thanks for that. Also thanks for the operation name, most useful indeed. I would tend to agree that it being a chaotic time for the army, mistakes crept in!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)