Author Topic: Metcalf in Shocklach 41 and 51  (Read 553 times)

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Metcalf in Shocklach 41 and 51
« on: Wednesday 06 July 05 10:19 BST (UK) »
Looking for the following in Shocklach and trying to establish if they were married/had children.

George Metcalf c1808
Thomas Metcalf c1812
Charles Metcalf c1825 possibly married to Ellen
Peter Metcalf c1815 and Margaret c1814

Metcalf appears also as Medcalf(e), Metcalfe, Mitcalf(e) and Midcalf(e) (Oh to have an ancestor whose name could only be spelt one way!!)

Thanks very much

Sue

CHS: Stevenson (Malpas) Brooke (Malpas) Baguley (Lymm) Bellin (Neston) Metcalf (Shocklach/Farndon)
DBS: Roberts (Borras Hovah, Wrexham) Rowe (Holt, Wrexham)
LCS: Clitheroe (St Helens)
STF: Lawrence (Church Eaton)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Metcalf in Shocklach 41 and 51
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 05 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
    The only one found in Shocklach is Peter in the 1851 census, unfortunatley the 1841 census for that area did not survive to be filmed.
    I would suggest you look for the others in the later census so that we can work backwards.

1851 HO107-2502-F330  Shocklach Oviatt Cheshire

Peter Metcalf head 35 shoemaker Shocklach
Margaret       wife 36                     Threaplewood
Jane              daug 11 scholar       Shocklach
Ellen                      8
Ann                       6
Thomas        son  1

hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Metcalf in Shocklach 41 and 51
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 July 05 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Peter - you have given me three daughters I did not know about.

Unfortunately I can find none of these brothers other than Peter in any later census. Some other members of the family have moved back and forth between Shocklach and Gresford in Denbighshire so I think that will be my next line of enquiry. I think at least one must have married because I have a Thomas Metcalf born 1841 Shocklach living with who is presumably his grandmother Mary Metcalf 1777 in Gresford on the 1861 census.

Thanks again

Sue
CHS: Stevenson (Malpas) Brooke (Malpas) Baguley (Lymm) Bellin (Neston) Metcalf (Shocklach/Farndon)
DBS: Roberts (Borras Hovah, Wrexham) Rowe (Holt, Wrexham)
LCS: Clitheroe (St Helens)
STF: Lawrence (Church Eaton)