Author Topic: Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 Volume 2  (Read 11246 times)

Offline wildbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 Volume 2
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 21 March 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Morning Jacquie,
Very good news... I went on line to see if I could find NS Immigrants Index... but had no luck. I also googled the Diary of Simeon Perkins.... and found that but with no search ability. I went to your earlier email and you said that it was on Ancestry.... I use to have an account with them ... but at the moment it is inactive. Could you tell me how I can find those other references to Elisha Hopkins?
wildbee

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 21 March 15 23:40 GMT (UK) »
re: Diary of Simeon Perkins which you'd already looked into earlier...

Navigating about I see that there is a search option lower on the page. It has an iffy search....
I tried loosely searching Barrington Hopkins  but unsatisfactory results thus far you'd need to play with keywords to get the most out of it...
http://link.library.utoronto.ca/champlain/search_results.cfm?lang=eng&query=samuel%20AND%20hopkins&searchtype=Fulltext&limit=All

The index for Hopkins on page 290... Elisha has a long list but wonder if it is the same accounts of the Elisha from Liverpool from the ship's log info, in the folder I'd linked to earlier...?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline wildbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 23 March 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon JJ,
I have been pouring over the links you sent... Some of course I am not sure how the Hopkins' mentions are tied into my clan.... but I can't wait to find out about some of them. The two diaries of Simeon Perkins.... I am thinking of purchasing .... It is funny (or not) what they teach us in history class growing up. We leave school thinking we know a good amount of history and yet I am always surprised how little detail was covered. I remember privateers being granted permission from England to take advantage of who and what ever on the high seas.... but I never pictured it so rampant as Simeon seems to write about.... and it wasn't just the English ... it seemed to be anyone from anywhere.... I want to look into that a little further also. But, the diaries are just amazing. You hear of ship wrecks and a child gone missing..... This has been such a rewarding search.
Thank you
Wildbee

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 23 March 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
If you just want to read them through you can see the 5 headings below, click on the link and then each number is a page to read...I do think it is mostly activity around Liverpool, as that is where the writer was stationed...
http://link.library.utoronto.ca/champlain/search_results.cfm?lang=eng&query=hopkins%20AND%20barrington&searchtype=Fulltext&limit=All&Idno=9_96903

What you see there ...The page itself is the result of a search for Hopkins Barrington which may or may not be yours, so you can just peek at those pages to begin with. The seaman Elisha is going to have far more results than your fellow, and he was from Liverpool....from which Perkins wrote...so unless yours dealt there in any fashion, he may not  be mentioned often...

I think reading that previous book on Barrington will be satisfying for a first whole reading as there is more mention of your Elisha and family in there.