Author Topic: Joseph(Jose) and David Redman Indiana  (Read 14794 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph(Jose) and David Redman Indiana
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 15 March 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
So Edward or Edwin could be John  ??? Hmmm - no they are both together on that 1850 census  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 15 March 15 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Taylor b 1847 Edwards brother.
Sorry hadn't looked at second link. That is fantastic what a distinctive looking guy ::)

No John is another brother I think.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 19 March 15 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to say thanks to all who replied  to this thread. Wow I have found out so much. My American line is coming on so well. It is turning out a lot easier than I anticipated.Especially now I have ancestry subs. I am up to present day on so many lines. Now what? Do I try and find the living?  Would they be interested?

Happy I did it on my own. But a big thank you to Sandra who helped me at the start when I was a novice. And obviously to all you who showed an  interest in my many posts.

I have enjoyed getting to know you all and the help and friendship has been great.

Jane

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph(Jose) and David Redman Indiana, seeking sisters.
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I am adding to this post. Hope I am doing right thing.

Have done well on original question. Have returned  to Joseph's father Edward and a massive brick wall. He emigrated 1820 to Indiana from UK with family. I found his 3 sons Joseph, Edward and David, however cannot find mention of his 4 daughters anywhere. It is driving me mad. They were Mary1808
, Jesse 1811, Martha 1815 and Elisha 1816. I have tried ancestry to no avail.  Also there is still no sign of Edwards wife Jane in U.S..

I toyed with idea that Jane (and daughters)died on the voyage, or  she died shortly after she reached America, or h.e left her or did away with her. I have contacted various sources in America but they cannot find her anywhere. Maybe Jane and daughters didn't go to Indiana when they arrived! Changed names and settled elsewhere.

I don't know where to look now for all these elusive females.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes there are no records to be found.  Females in particular are very difficult to follow, especially when they marry and there are no marriage records to consult. Many records have been destroyed one way or another, for example fires and the civil war destroyed many.
Examples of records lost in Indiana.

http://www.raogk.org/county-facts/indiana/#courthouse

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for link Sandra very interesting and such a shame. Have read and 're read and think maybe mine were in a court house that survived. Would census records be stored there? I have 1930
ensus records for Edward snr/jnr? and Joseph. Unfortunately only the males are named, the rest of residents are under catorgories of age and sex. The sisters could be living with them as some of age ranges fit. But that is massive straw clutching.

I will keep at it ;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 22 March 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for link Sandra very interesting and such a shame. Have read and 're read and think maybe mine were in a court house that survived. Would census records be stored there? I have 1930
ensus records for Edward snr/jnr? and Joseph. Unfortunately only the males are named, the rest of residents are under catorgories of age and sex. The sisters could be living with them as some of age ranges fit. But that is massive straw clutching.

I will keep at it ;D

Wishful thinking Jane. Many records were destroyed during the Civil War. Indiana played an important roll in the American Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_in_the_American_Civil_War

Presume you mean 1830 Census  ???

Enumerators of the 1830 and 1840 census were asked to include the following categories in the census: Name of head of household -  number of free white males and females in age categories  0 to 5, 5 to 10, 10 to 15, 15 to 20, 20 to 30, 30 to 40, 40 to 50, 50 to 60, 60 to 70, 70 to 80, 80 to 90, 90 to 100, over 100 - the name of a slave owner and the number of slaves owned by that person -  the number of male and female slaves and free "coloured" persons by age categories - the number of foreigners (not naturalized) in a household; the number of deaf, dumb, and blind persons within a household -  and town or district, and county of residence.

Have you checked what is available for the girls on Indiana Marriages

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1674830

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 22 March 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »

Wishful thinking Jane. Many records were destroyed during the Civil War. Indiana played an important roll in the American Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_in_the_American_Civil_War

Presume you mean 1830 Census  ???

Enumerators of the 1830 and 1840 census were asked to include the following categories in the census: Name of head of household -  number of free white males and females in age categories  0 to 5, 5 to 10, 10 to 15, 15 to 20, 20 to 30, 30 to 40, 40 to 50, 50 to 60, 60 to 70, 70 to 80, 80 to 90, 90 to 100, over 100 - the name of a slave owner and the number of slaves owned by that person -  the number of male and female slaves and free "coloured" persons by age categories - the number of foreigners (not naturalized) in a household; the number of deaf, dumb, and blind persons within a household -  and town or district, and county of residence.

Have you checked what is available for the girls on Indiana Marriages

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1674830

Sorry yes 1830 ::) tried everything I can think of with girls but will keep 're-checking.

I am getting really into this American branch, it is a challenge. There are lots of trees on ancestry with info that fits some of my Rellies but no proof I can see.

Thanks for replies.

Jane ;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 22 March 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Just being repetitive, as it has been discussed loads on this site over the years but all information on ancestry tree's is not correct and the burden of proof is with the researcher.

Sandra