Author Topic: Information on an 1870s Birth Certificate please?  (Read 30391 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on an 1870s Birth Certificate please?
« Reply #171 on: Thursday 19 March 15 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Also the tree people won't have found her in 1871 under Susannah because she is under the name Sarah so assume she has died between 1861 and 1871 plus they don't know Mary Vincent is her married daughter Mary Yorke.

Never hurts to double check these things but I think you're ok!

And the other little baptised girl Mary had Susannah as one of her many names  :D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Thursday 19 March 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Could be just one tree person and multiple copiers.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Thursday 19 March 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Could be just one tree person and multiple copiers.

Really, I have wondered how the tree system works. 

Braytons

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:16 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Hello to all those who assisted me in the great puzzle.  Just a little step forward in the search.  Just received the birth certificate back for George William Vincent and yes its the right man!

Just for interest sake the details are:

George William Vincent Born Chatham, 31st August 1837, Father Benjamin Vincent Labourer,  Mother Ellen Friend Vincent formerly Conley.  Registered 6 th October.

On other records Ellen's maiden name is spelt Connolly but I am sure that's just an error in hearing the name.

So I can enter George's birth details on my tree with great confidence.

Of course it doesn't solve the problem of whether Robert adopted George's name................. :-\

Braytons

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Excellent thanks for reporting back ;D

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Rockborne38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Friday 25 March 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
The father of Robert John Vincent was not a seaman, his father was Benjamin Vincent and he was a Royal Marine, we have a copy of his attestation papers and his discharge papers, which also shows the amount of deferred pay and bonus he received at the time of his discharge, and we also have a full copy of his records showing all the ships on which he served, but not as a seaman

Hello all and thank you, so many replies!  I love to read all the different ideas, crowd sourcing!

Yes, Robert and George Vincent's father was a seaman, name Benjamin.  I have details of the ships he sailed on etc.   

Robert was a cab driver in 1861 at the census and when he married Mary earlier the same year.

One very odd thing that might back up the thought he went abroad is that the first child Robert Richard was not born until 1871, a whole ten years later.

Both Robert and George were cab drivers/grooms in the various census and when Robert married.
The marriage of Robert Vincent to Mary Yorke is very clear 8 Jan 1861.  But from 1881 onwards Mary appears to be living with George and continues to till definitely 1901 and maybe till 1906 as I have found a possible death.  They lived at Chalton Street and then Great College Street St Pancras for all that time.

I have also found a school admission for Mary Eliza Amelia Vincent in 1883 and this lists father as George and mother Mary. 

My conclusion is that something strange happened after the 1861 Census because Robert disappears, no credible records, and 3 children appear, with unregistered UK births but later baptisms.  For instance, Robert Richard, the elder child, was born 24 Feb but not baptised till 20 Sep 1875, over 4 years later!

Annie - My OH has cast doubt on the idea that a wife would accompany a naval seaman but if he was travelling to South America to seek his fortune is it not possible she might have gone too?
Yes that is the correct marriage for Mary Eliza Amelia marrying my Grandfather John Francis Reeve.  He made piano casings and lived in Bayham Place, Camden.

Regards family "get togethers"  these were few and far between.  My Grandmother was 75 when I was born and I only met her once when I was about 6.  My mother rarely talked about her family, she is dead and gone now and of course I am now regretting not asking more!!

Keep the thoughts coming please.

Braytons