Author Topic: Battle of Waterloo - free lookup offer  (Read 14121 times)

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Battle of Waterloo - free lookup offer
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I have only just returned to this forum after many years away - so, just to repeat an offer made years ago - I have a database of all 28,000+ British Waterloo combatants and would be very interested to hear from anyone who either
a) is looking for help in researching a Waterloo soldier or
b) would like to share details of their Waterloo ancestor with me

Ancestry.com and other similar sites will try to take your money to look up Waterloo men using the medal roll held at Kew. It would take too long to explain just how flawed and incomplete the medal roll is - but there are hundreds of Waterloo soldiers who do not appear on it for various reasons.

Anyway - do please get in touch if you want me to look someone up.

Kind regards
Martin

Offline Neronning

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Waterloo - free lookup offer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
Can you help me to solve a puzzle?  My ancestor, Lt. Waldron (sometimes William) Kelly of the 40th of foot was probably at Waterloo. His service record says French Flanders. A letter that his wife wrote to Queen Victoria, a letter forwarded with accompanying letters from sir William Anson and Sir John Scott Lillie to the Duke of Wellington, state that she was at Waterloo and New Orleans with him.  I can't imagine that those eminent men would have countenanced a lie.  Can you help?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

A very kind offer!  I have a discharge paper for my ancestor Jeremiah Hall of 'Eaton Bridge' (Edenbridge) in Kent dated 1822.  He signed up in 1807 at the age of 18 and was in the Royal Artillery, he was discharged from Ireland.  If he was in the Royal Artillery at that point would that have meant he would have fought at Waterloo?  I have tried searching on find my past and came up with his statement of service but that is all.  He doesn't seem to come up on their list.  Would you be able to help.

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin.
We have a Waterloo soldier James Gillespie Royal Horse Artillery.  He was a Chelsea Pensioner in later years.   Many thanks if you can spot him.
Bill B
Borodenko, Kalmus, Lobanenko, Chaplenko. Basko.
Robson,Gillespie,Sentence, Edgar, Gildert

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin.
We have a Waterloo soldier James Gillespie Royal Horse Artillery.  He was a Chelsea Pensioner in later years.   Many thanks if you can spot him.
Bill B

Sorry, I don't have a James Gillespie - do you have reason to think he was at Waterloo? (the WO100 medal roll is even more unreliable than usual when it comes to Artillerymen)

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
OOps Roger Gillespie

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
A senior moment. We were led to believe that every soldier got a medal. There were 2 Roger Gillespie soldiers. One from Ireland & One from Scotland later living in Woodbridge. Cheers Martin

Offline Fraser178

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad Francis Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
A very generous offer

I have an ancestor by the name of Timothy Hill (born circa 1790) who served at Waterloo according to his discharge papers, could you look him up see if you have anything?

Kind Regards,
Joel
Research Intrests.
Manchester:Fraser, Jennings, Reid, Worsley
Wolverhampton:Hill, Griffiths, Harper, Whitehouse, Tarbuck, Asprey
Willenhall:Aston
Wales:Griffiths,Jennings
Warwickshire: Harper
Ireland County Dublin: Reid

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 15 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

Many thanks for your kind offer.

My ancestor, John Paterson, born 1783 in Hamilton, Scotland, joined the 79th Regiment of Foot (Cameron Highlanders) on 25 February 1805. He was wounded on 16 June 1815 at Quatre Bras in the Battle of Waterloo and discharged on 21/11/1816 at the age of 33 (his age having been erroneously recorded as 31 but amended on the discharge document he signed).

I have his service record on which is a notation at the top left of the page, which looks like 4th Airdrie 9/7/29. He must have re-enlisted in another force because there are two Chelsea Pensioner records for him -- one for John Paterson, born Hamilton, age 33, 79th Regiment of Foot, dated 1816 and another for John Paterson, born Hamilton, age 56, Independent Companies, 1839.

However, I can't find a Waterloo medal record for my John Paterson. Could you please have a look for me?

I also wanted to ask if any further information would be available in the Kew archives or elsewhere. For example, where would I find his attestation papers or documentation of his pay address, next of kin, etc.?

Many thanks again, Martin.

Cheers,

Rodeo