Author Topic: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer  (Read 25948 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Readers please note that the originator of this "free lookup offer" hasn't logged in since October 2022. Some of us are filling in as best we can but we don't have access to his database.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 21:09 GMT (UK) »
To, Annette 128.
With reference to Samuel Brockley:   I have him on my roll as Samuel Bromley, which could be a corruption of Brockley. 
Bromley was born in Denton, Lancashire and enlisted into the Royal Artillery on 21st April 1799, aged 18. His service papers state that he was promoted to Bombardier in June 1805 and Serjeant in Nov 1813. Bromley was discharged to a pension of 1s 10d per day at Woolwich on 30th June 1820. 
Now this is where it gets interesting - I have him married to 'Elizabeth Davis' in 1818 at Pontefract ( the same as your information ). The 1851 census gives Bromley living at Howards Lane, Haughton, Lancashire, with his wife and 9 members of his family.  Although some of the data does not tie up with your own, it is another possibility to follow. 
My main concern with Bromley is there is no reference to Waterloo on his service papers, where as Brockley is definitely shown on the Waterloo roll. 
REF for Bromley is WO97/1215/240
Ed.