Author Topic: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer  (Read 25901 times)

Offline Rosezi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 17 October 21 19:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, but how strange, as I have just double-checked the UK Muster Books & Paylists 1812-1817 and a David Bruce from Wick, Caithness is definitely listed as a soldier in 42nd Reg but in the 1st Batt this time, 27th May - 16th June 1815 and listed as killed. He is also listed on a Description roll under Capt Donald Williamson's Company as a soldier in 42nd Reg, 2nd Batt 1803-1805. I think he must have mistakenly been left off the list.
Banks - Wick, Caithness
Dunbar - Co Antrim-Birkenhead-Liverpool
Kemp - Woodnesborough,Kent-Liverpool
Long - Ireland-Liverpool
Clarke - Ireland-Liverpool
Weldon - Dublin-Birkenhead
Thomas - LLandysilio,Anglesey-Liverpool
Roberts -Denbighshire-Liverpool
Spain-Woodnesborough, Kent
Seed - Ballyculter, Co. Down
Graham-Ayrshire-Ballyculter-Liverpool

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 17 October 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for the response.  First of all, it 'was' the 1st Battalion that was present at Waterloo, but there was not a Captain Williamson's Company - that does not mean he was not serving at Waterloo.
Also, I have double-checked the "MINT" Roll, this was the Royal Mint, where all the regiments sent the names of the men who were entitled to the Waterloo Medal ........ he is not included on the roll, so his next of kin did not receive a Waterloo Medal, or was there one issued. 
As you said - he could have been mistakenly left off the list...........he certainly would not be the first.
There are so many mistakes on the Waterloo Roll, in fact, that is the main reason I started my Roll. In the twenty years since I have been collecting data, I have added 2350 names of men that  should be included on the Waterloo Roll and were entitled to the Waterloo Medal. So you can rest assured that your 'David Bruce' should be added to that list.

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 18 October 21 06:13 BST (UK) »
"There is only one man with the name 'Isaac Webb' on my Waterloo Roll.  He served as a private with the 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot Guards in Sir Alexander Gordon's company.  I am afraid this is all the information I have on your man - but hopefully, it will be a start for you."

Thanks Ed, it is a start. Although I do grapple with anything military! Especially understanding the sometimes changeable names of regiments in wars. I've looked online and as far as I can understand the 2nd Battalion/3rd Foot Guards is also known as the Scots Fusiliers aka Scots Guards...? Interesting that a Gloucestershire country fellow joins a Scots company, or perhaps that is more name than a place. I gather too that the 2nd Batt/3rd Foot Guard were involved in the Hougoumont Château battle and probably fought in the orchards outside the chateau. If that's not a PTSD event, I don't know what is. Isaac became a humble fisherman after Waterloo. On the River Severn. A far cry from Waterloo.

In order to find his records, if they exist, I expect I may have to join Ancestry as they appear to have those records. I've been researching 12 years and have successfully avoided Ancestry so far :) They seemed to have got the scoop on military records.

Much appreciated, Annie
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 18 October 21 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was hoping to find William (or Wm) Smith of 71st Regiment of Foot. He was born Midlothian Edinburgh c 1788 and was pensioned on 13 Jan 1830 age 42. He was a Serjeant. He was on the Napoleonic medals roll as Serjt William Smith  of 71st Foot in Capt McIntyre's Company.

He was married in Chester on 29 Nov 1819 and was my gg grandfather. William and his wife Catharine Jenkins had 10 children - 3 of whom whilst William was a soldier (born in Cheshire; Devon; and Wallstown, Cloyne Ireland) The others after his retirement were born in the Cheshire area.

Anything you can add would be much appreciated.

Alan

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 18 October 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
           The only information I have is that there were two William Smith's serving with the 71st Foot at Waterloo: Smith No 1 ( as you have alluded to ) served in Captain McTyre's company.
                          Smith No 2                                       served in Captain Pidgeon's company.
Smith No1 saw service with the regiment during the Corunna campaign of 1808 - 1809, where he was present during the battle of 'Vimiera' on 21st Aug 1808. After the retreat from Corunna in Jan 1809, the 71st returned to England. Smith later returned to the Peninsular and was present at a further two major engagements: 'Vittoria' on 21st June 1813 and 'Orthes' on 17th Feb 1814.   
Also as you state, he was awarded the Military General Service Medal 1793 - 1814, with the bars for  Vimiera, Vittoria and Orthes.   
I am sorry, but this is the only information I have on your man.
Ed

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 18 October 21 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,

Many thanks - I know he joined on 3 March 1806 age 18 so he served nearly 25 years until he took his pension in 1830.

I am grateful for your information

Alan

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 18 October 21 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your most generous offer to everybody.

Do you have any Andrews from Cambs or Huletts from Beds please ?

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 18 October 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have 45 Andrew's on my Roll, but only information on 22 of these men. Sorry, none are from Cambridge - the remaining 23 men, all I have is their Regiment.
Hullet's there are none, so I checked on the name Hallett of which there are 3.
One was killed, one I have no information on and the last one was from Darfield, Yorkshire. There is one man named Hulley, but he too was from Yorkshire...............so not much luck I'm afraid. 

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 18 October 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking , I appreciate it.