Author Topic: Border crossings from Canada to US - Herbert William Meller 9th April 1909  (Read 8108 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
A few years ago I saved an image of a "List or manifest of alien passengers to the United states…." from "All Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956" when I had access to this record set on Ancestry, for a Herbert William Meller who who had landed in Victoria British Columbia on 9th April 1909 on the SS Aorangi from Sydney and was about to enter the US on his way to San Francisco. At the time as I thought it was a possible for a person I was interested in even though his age was 10 years out. I’ve now got proof that this is the person I hoped it would be, but looking back at the image I saved I realise that the form covered two pages and I only looked at and saved the left hand side.

I was hoping that some kind person might take a look at the right hand page for me, and see if it gives the name and address of who he intended to visit. This must have been some round trip from Sydney as I can only imagine he was visiting his brother (who was in Denver in 1909) who he wouldn't have seen since the 1860s in England.

Simon

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Border crossings from Canada to US - Herbert William Meller 9th April 1909
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like sister Mrs W Hoachin (looks like Hutchinson was crossed out) - 970 ?????? (so blotchy - can't read  ::) ) San Francisco

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like sister Mrs W Hoachin - 970 ?????? (so blotchy - can't read  ::) ) San Francisco

Sandra
That's all I could make out also Sandra  ???

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 15 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like sister Mrs W Hoachin (looks like Hutchinson was crossed out) - 970 ?????? (so blotchy - can't read  ::) ) San Francisco

May be...................970 Florida Street, San Francisco  ???
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ey4/

There is also mention of something on his right forearm which I can't decipher  ::)

Annie

P.S. Simon, PM me your email & I will send it !
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 15 18:06 GMT (UK) »

May be...................970 Florida Street, San Francisco  ???
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ey4/

Simon, 2nd pg can't be saved !!! Sorry :-(

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, Rosie17 and Annie. The name Hoachin means nothing and doesn't look like it is a real name (nobody in the whole of the US census of 1910). I know this is the right man as the name of the friend in Sydney on the left hand sheet (JJ Mathison) was an executor on his will written in 1910 back in Sydney.
I certainly can't match it to a sister, I do have one missing sister, but her name was Isabella. Ah but just realised that the W in Mrs W would probably be her husband's initial. I'll need to investigate further. Maybe I'm now on the trail of this long lost sister.

Once again many thanks for looking this up for me.

Simon

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 March 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
So Herbert had a sister called Isabella - have you got any further details on her please  ???

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, should check my facts before posting. The missing sister was Georgiana (or Georgeanna) Meller born Droitwich England 1854. Last known sighting was aged 6/7 in the census of 1861 in Droitwich. I have never found a marriage, death, evidence of travel etc after this date. She may just have run away, all her siblings seemed to leave once their father had married his third wife (my ancestor). Herbert and one other brother left for Australia before 1871, another sister Alice left England for New York in 1872, married a cousin she had not previously met and died in Sacramento in 1888. Another brother after going here there and everywhere (including time in Sacramento at the same time as his sister Alice) was in Denver in 1909. Herbert was back in Australia later in 1909 marrying his deceased brother's widow!

Simon

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to locate obituaries for those siblings  ???

Sandra