Author Topic: Looking for Mary and Jane Fitzpatrick  (Read 10728 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Mary and Jane Fitzpatrick
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for Mary and Jane Fitzpatrick, sisters, both born in Prescot, Lancashire.  I found them on the immigration passenger list on the 10th of May 1899, travelling together from Liverpool to New York on a ship called Cymric.  They were both listed as domestic servants, aged 20.
Mary's full name is Mary Ellen.

They were both adopted after their mother was murdered by her husband in 1881 and ended up living with a woman named Mary Ann Ronchetti.  Mrs Ronchetti adopted them  and they lived in Parr, St Helens, Lancashire according to the 1891 census.

I'd like to know if it is possible to find out what happened to Mary and Jane.  Is there any way of tracing them?  If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Borderslass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary and Jane Fitzpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 15 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Borderslass

The 1891 Census, where the Fitzpatrick girls are with Mary Ann Ronchetti (nee Mary Ann Therese REDMOND)....RG12 /Piece 3023 / Folio /123 /Pg32

It says:
Relative Adopted Dau: Mary ADAMS 17, single
(Ditto) : Lydie FITZPATRICK 12,
(Ditto) : Jane FITZPATRICK 11
All 3 born Prescot, Lanc.

Just checking - the enumerator did appear to have a bit of bother with that census!?

Just been reading the newspaper reports of the death of their mother, very traumatic! And amazed the father only then got 15 years for manslaughter!

The girls on the Cymric in 1899,
They were both heading to NY, but to different address.
Mary to: 514W 54th St, to ------- (illegible)
Janey to: 309 E? 21st St, to sister
Last Address: Co. -----? (an Irish County?)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 15 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family in the 1881 census transcribed as Fitspatrick address 3 Browns Street Prescot Lancashire
James 28 general labourer , Margret 28, James 6, Margaret 4, Mary E 2, Jane 1 all born Prescot
was Margaret's maiden name Black ?

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. Rosie, yes, that is the correct family in the 1881 census.  We have found the eldest daughter Margaret but we haven't found James as of yet.

Thank you Ambly for your information; could you please tell me where you found them once they arrived in New York?  Is it possible to have a copy or a link to the documentation which shows the information that you found?
You are correct about the 1891 census as well, it wasn't the best of transcriptions by the enumerator. 

I'm a bit confused with the last address info that you have written; they were never in Ireland; their grandparents were the ones who came to Lancashire from Ireland.

Borderslass   :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
On the record it states they were Irish ?
Mary Fizpatrick born about 1879 age 20 departure Liverpool
Arrival Date 19/5/1899
Ship Cymric
What was the connection to Mary Ann Ronchetti ?

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 15 16:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick age 11 born Liverpool an inmate in the Liverpool Industrial School
Civil Parish Kirkdale

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 15 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if the last residence was just "ditto" from the chap above Rosie - possible do you think  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Ronchetti adopted the girls in 1881 after the death of their mother and their father being sent to prison.  The girls were both born in Prescot, Lancashire (neither were born in Liverpool).

There is absolutely no record of deaths for these girls nor marriages and they both kept the name of Fitzpatrick ten years later so it is very unlikely that they changed their names.

I believe that there was an assumption made that the girls were Irish on the ship's register since their name was Fitzpatrick.  Is there any way that I may be able to see these records?

Thank you again for your help

Borderslass   :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 15 22:04 GMT (UK) »
If you would like to send me a personal message with your e-mail address - can help with passenger list.

Cheers
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada