Author Topic: William Evans b 1829 Anglesey  (Read 13091 times)

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Evans b 1829 Anglesey
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Alan I have made a post in the 'old handwriting and deciphering forum', it is called a small notation. I can't work out how to attach on this post. It is part of William (junior) death certificate, 1885, it has a tiny note right next to his father's details. It seems like a tiny yet pivotal clue which nags at me. I would love to hear what you think of it.

All of your information is very helpful, I am copying it all. I will take a look at that tree on look at ancestry, thank you.

Wouldn't a time machine be grand!

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna,

We wouldn't need Rootschat if we had a time machine to solve all the riddles!

I can see what you mean about the notation - I haven't any idea but can see why it would niggle at you. Assuming it is a date, it looks as if it may have been added later than the word "Arle". I have looked for what "Arle" may mean (either English or Welsh) but have come up blank. Could 10.7.83 mean the year 1983 instead of 1883? Could it possibly be a cemetery reference for a grave instead of a date?

I'm afraid I'm clutching at straws, but the evidence provided by Dragon T suggests William (Senior) died a lot earlier.

Is it worthwhile contacting the tree owner shown on Ancestry to see if it means anything to them.

Bit stuck on giving you a sensible answer - sorry.

Alan 

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Could the meaning be from the french Arles a contract between William Evans and someone at that date
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I have just found probate details following William Evans death in Dec 1868. Probate was granted 11 Dec 1869 -

Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate and effects of William Evans late of Morfa Mawr in the parish of Llanfihangel esgeifiog in the county of Anglesea Collier deceased who died 8 Dec 1868 at Morfa Mawr aforesaid were granted at Bangor to Susan Evans  of Morfa Mawr aforesaid Widow the relict one of the Universal Legatees named in the said Will she having been first sworn.

Effects under £20

Since then I have found William (and new wife Susan) in the 1861 census at Morfa Mawr with a child Ellin. William (Collier) age 51, Susan age 38, and Ellin age 1 and a half.

In 1871 at the same address Susanna is 48 (Widow) born Rhoscolyn, Ellin 11 born Llanfihangel Esgeifiog.

By 1881 they are age 60 and 21 and living at 1 Tan y Fford, Llanfihangel Esgeifiog.

I think William married a Susan Williams in Bangor in 1858 but have not investigated this any further.

Dragon T may be able to enlarge more on this development. 

Alan

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
The notation is on a death certificate from Victorian Births/Deaths/Marriages, so it's a copy of original cert. I have enquired about it with them, they say it must of been placed there at the time, 1885, and agree that it looks like it's associated with father's details. I have not found any Arle in Wales either, only the river Arle in Hampshire, which is not making sense at the moment.

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan, I had a look at ancestry at Catherine Evans and Robert Jones. Thanks, I'm noting it all but I am not sure. I've brought some findmypast credits, it's not got a lot more info, no images on the one's I've been checking. There are lots of w evans on the uk seaman section, at 20 credits a view!!

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 March 15 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna,

You may be interested in getting a copy of William Evans probated will. If so you can contact Leeds District Probate Registry, York House, 31 York Place, Leeds LS1 2BA. More details on line, I think you have to apply by post and there is a fee to be paid. However it should give you details of the beneficiaries of William's will if you wanted to find out more.

Alan   

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 April 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks again so much Alan, I have noted the Leeds District Registry details. Before I start buying certificates I thought I'd follow that 'little notation' of 10/7/83. Ancestry has a William Evans buried 12/7/83 (therefore may have died 10/7/83), Llangwm, Pembrokeshire, birth 1797. I am not sure of this William Evans spouse's name, but if it's Ellen this could be promising. I shall have to try to follow this one backwards a bit to see if I can find some details.
Donna.