Author Topic: Westwood: 1861 Rowley Regis help please  (Read 1217 times)

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Westwood: 1861 Rowley Regis help please
« on: Wednesday 06 July 05 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone help me with a lookup please? I am looking for Emma Westwood and her son:
Wille Arthur Westwood, b 14.12.1859
The address given on Willey's b cert is Lawrence Lane, Rowley Regis. There is no father's name on the cert although on his m cert, dad is down as John a pit labourer.

Any info would be welcome. Thanks for your help.

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd
Most of the families are Durham/N Yorks based with Nolan and Westwood originating in Staffs.  Aitchison (Midlothian) MacKinnon(Fife)

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Westwood: 1861 Rowley Regis help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Amplis Westwood 18 daughter
Emma Westwood 40 head
Joseph Westwood 11 son
Willy A Westwood 12 son

all born Rowley Regis, still at Laurence Lane.

Emma is listed as a nail-maker and a widow.

Sarah
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah and thanks for your quick work.

This is strange because I have seen the family you mention on the LDS site, but everything is 10 years too early.

Willey should only be 2 not 12 as I have a copy of his certificate in front of me dated dec 1858.  I am very confused!  Do you think that there could be a mark on the entry that could have been transcribed as a 1 in front of the 2?

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd
Most of the families are Durham/N Yorks based with Nolan and Westwood originating in Staffs.  Aitchison (Midlothian) MacKinnon(Fife)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 13:30 BST (UK) »

Hi Pat,

might there be a connection to the family here?

William Westwood, head, mar, 27, Chain Maker, Rowley Regis
Ellen, wife, 29, Nailer, Presteigne Radnorshire Wales
William, son, 2, Rowley Regis
David, son, 4 days, Rowley Regis

RG9/2039
District: Dudley
Road/Street: Crawley Heath
Schedule: 148
Folio: 110
Page: 32

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy,

It would be great to think so wouldn't it?  Are these Westwoods from 1861?  Certainly there were a lot of Williams in the family I know of but Willey A on my side married well out of the area and never returned and neither did his children as far as I know.

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

yes it is the 1861 census. I had started to look for Willie and noticed this entry as well. I thought it was worth mentioning. Looks like Emma and Ellen did the same type of work.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat
I have found Emma on the 1851 census in Lawrence lane
Emma 31 w Rowley Regis
hampilis? 8
Ann 4
Joseph 1
if you want a copy please send me a pm with your email address
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 19:53 BST (UK) »

Willey should only be 2 not 12 as I have a copy of his certificate in front of me dated dec 1858.  I am very confused!  Do you think that there could be a mark on the entry that could have been transcribed as a 1 in front of the 2?

Pat

I think that is very likely Pat. There is a streak which looks like a 1 but is probably a streak.
I answered you on the RR page (under another name) and didn't notice the streak. I did wonder if it was meant to be 12 months but think the streak explanation is more likely.

The IGI entries look very suspect. There seems to be a genuine date for Amplis but then the 2 boys are obviously entered from the 1861 census. But what about the rest? Unless Emma was going for an "oldest mother" record? ;D
PM me your email of you want to see the 61 yourself.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 July 05 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gardener

I would send you a PM if I could work out how to send one instead of just being able to reply!  Could you please PM me so that I can answer?

Thanks

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd