Author Topic: Parish List of Derry (Londonderry)  (Read 11467 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Parish List of Derry (Londonderry)
« on: Thursday 05 June 03 14:04 BST (UK) »
Parish list of Derry (Londonderry) in 1851:

Aghadowey, Aghanloo, Agivey, Arboe, Artrea, Ballinderry, Ballyaghran, Ballymoney, Ballynascreen, Ballyrashane, Ballyscullion, Ballywillin, Balteagh, Banagher, Bovevagh, Carrick, Clondermot, Coleraine, Cumber Lower, Cumber Upper, Derryloran, Desertlyn, Desertmartin, Desertoghill, Drumachose, Dunboe, Dungiven, Errigal, Faughanvale, Kilcronaghan, Kildollagh, Killelagh, Killowen, Kilrea, Learmount, Lissan, Macosquin, Maghera, Magherafelt, Magilligan, Tamlaght, Tamlaght Finlagan, Tamlaght O'Crilly, Templemore, Termoneeny
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Parish List of Derry (Londonderry)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 22:29 BST (UK) »

Offline virgo_lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 July 08 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher, I have my grandfathers birth certificate that says his parents where married on 9 June 1878 in the Parish of Drumagarner, Co Derry. Would you known where I would be able to find more information on their marriage.

My grandfathers parents were Patrick Cassidy and Jane Kerr though his birth certificate says Mohan but I have since found out that her mother was a Moran.

Appreciate any information you can provide.

Virgo-lass

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Drumagarner is a Roman Catholic Church outside the town of Kilrea in Co. Londonderry.

Marriage certificate will list names of bride and groom, their residences at the time of the marriage, whether or not of full age, marital status, occupations, fathers' names and occupations (unless illegitimate), names of two witnesses, date and place of marriage, name of officiant (in this case the priest).

Do you know what townland(s) the family lived? Assuming your grandfather was born somewhere like Scotland if his birth certificate had details of parents' marriage.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Jane is under the name of  Moran in the civil indexes

A Patrick Cassidy married  a Jane Moran on the  9th June 1878.
Church:   Kilrea Roman Catholic church. Parish: Kilrea .Civil District: Ballymoney .County Londonderry

You can order the marriage certificate from either of the GRO's in Ireland with the above info .

Hope that is of some help
Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 July 08 15:05 BST (UK) »

Offline virgo_lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 July 08 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your help, much appreciated.

My grandfather, Charles, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, as was his younger sister Catherine. His three older siblings Jane, Theresa and Patrick were all born in Ireland. There is no mention of the townlands where the family lived on any of the documents I have been able to obtain.

My g-frandfather Patrick died tragically in Scotland at the age of 38 and his father is listed as a farmer on the death certificate which is really all I know about them. His mother's maiden name is shown as Mary Kearney.

I will get the marriage certificate, as suggested by Cell. At least I now have somewhere to start now as before I was grasping at straws.

My g-grandmother is a bit of a problem as her name appears to change on every document. She is listed as Carr, Kerr, Mohan and Moran.

I see cell said that Jane is listed as Moran in the civil indexes. Can you tell me how I find the indexes?

Again thanks for all your help.
Virgo-Lass

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 08 10:24 BST (UK) »
My g-grandmother is a bit of a problem as her name appears to change on every document. She is listed as Carr, Kerr, Mohan and Moran.
Carr and Kerr are different spellings of the same surname and suspect that Mohan + Moran are supposed to be the same name so you are only dealing with 2 different surnames for Jane. As the marriage is under Moran it's possibly that that was her real name- is her mother was Moran the mother might have had Jane before she married Kerr and Jane was then known by both names. Another possibilty is that Jane was born Kerr but raised by mother's parents and known as Moran also. What about Jane's death certificate- any clues there?

Offline virgo_lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 July 08 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey

Jane's death certificate records her father as John kerr and mother as Sarah Kerr M.S. Moran.  The informant on the certificate was her eldest daughter Theresa.

I thought that perhaps she may have been illegitimate or that her parents married after she was born. 

I have a copy of Theresa's marriage certificate which records her mother's maiden surname as Jane Kerr. My grandfathers marriage certificate records his mother's maiden name as Carr but I understand that is probably due to their having moved to Scotland and that name changes occurred due to the accents being slightly different. However, her name was recorded on his birth certificate as Mohan but again I guess that could be because her husband was the informant on that.

I never thought about the fact that her grandparents might have brought her up which could account for the name changes.
Shame I wasn't doing the family tree when my grandparents were still around though have had little trouble with my grandmother's side apart for her father who is also an Irishman :-).

Cheers
Lena