Author Topic: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!  (Read 10750 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 28 March 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I was just typing a reply to say have a look at the image on the baptism. The abode looks suspiciously like Kermingham which would tie in with the place of birth that Thomas gave on the census records.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 28 March 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Rolnora,
You're absolutely right, I've printed it off now, and it certainly looks like Kermingham - so that all the evidence fits together very nicely.  And anyway, there might be some kind of tenuous family connection with the milling LEA family nearby...
Keith

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 28 March 15 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I think we found in earlier posts that Kermingham/Kermincham was in Swettenham.
I'm not sure how far away Swettenham is from Withington, Prestbury.
Perhaps it was the nearest Wesleyan Church.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/lowerwithington.html

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 28 March 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you spotted another baptism for Ann Lea 1825 same parents same church possibly a sister for Thomas. It's on the next page and abode is Swettenham

Have you found the family on the 1841 census ?

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 28 March 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
And anyway, there might be some kind of tenuous family connection with the milling LEA family nearby...
Keith
Well you never know do you  ;D ;D

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 28 March 15 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes,
That would be a perfect fit for a sibling to Thomas, the Ann baptism in 1825.  I've had a quick look at the 1841 Census, and there seem to be 3 possible Joseph LEA's for Cheshire, none a perfect fit, though of course it was a long 16 years from the baptism of Ann, and either one or both of Joseph and Hannah could since have died; and/or both children Thomas and Ann could have moved away from home too.  Will continue to search for more clues, but you've been more than helpful so far, Rolnora!
Keith
...and on Ancestry there is a possible likely marriage on 14th September 1817 between a Joseph LEA and a Hannah CLAYTON at Sandbach, which, when I looked at the modern map, is not that far away from Kermingham/Kermincham…
…and a December quarter 1838 death for a Joseph LEA in the Congleton registration district...

Offline Carra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 03 April 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hope you don't mind be butting in! I presume that Withington Prestbury is the place that is now known as Lower Withington and if so this is pretty much next door to Swettenham/Kermincham. The Lea name still lives on in the name of animal food merchants HJ Lea Oakes - its still a family run firm but not sure if its the Leas's. Swettenham Mill is also known as Daffodil Dell - I can remember visiting with my Grandparents as a small child and I'm pretty sure they knew the people that lived and worked there but can't for the life of me remember their name!! Will have to ask my dad  :)
Bann - Poynton, Cheshire
Maguire - Dublin
Barkley - Antrim

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 03 April 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Carra!
The more input of local knowledge into a thread like this, so much the better.  No question of butting in, all more fascinating grist to the mill, so to speak - though I need to look up the exact origin of that phrase.  So Joseph and Hannah wouldn't have had far to travel to the Methodist chapel to get their two children baptised…
Many thanks for that,
Keith